• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zemenar

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I mixed even parts Beeswax and Crisco,added a couple of Tsp.of XV olive oil.
It seems a little hard.
Should I mix more Crisco with it to make it a little smoother?
Thanks

Does crisco have salt in it? If it does I'd leave it out but some folks lube with pure crisco.
I make my lube with just olive oil and beeswax. I can't tell you the proportions. I just mix it until I get a lube with a consistency that won't freeze solid in the freezer and won't melt in my palm. Maybe 2:1 oil to wax.

To answer your question, I'd add more oil instead of crisco.

HD

ive had good success with olive oil and bees wax.
I start at 4 to 1 mix, cool and if I want thicker, I remelt and blend in more bees wax to get a desirable consistancy

If that is patch lube did you ever try Dutch Schultz's dry patch between shoots and dry patch ball patch? He uses ballistol, I use Go-Jo white sparingly to lube the PRB.

If you mix a little more oil in then yes the mix will become less hard.
The problem I've found is that some lubes work some of the time in some guns.
One of the few lubes I've found that works most of the time with most of the guns in all the sorts of weather I've been able to try it is Stumpies Moose Snot.

Zemenar said:
I mixed even parts Beeswax and Crisco,added a couple of Tsp.of XV olive oil.
It seems a little hard.
Should I mix more Crisco with it to make it a little smoother?
Thanks

I've found that 4 oz of crisco, and 1/4 oz of beeswax (weiged on a cheap old kitchen scale) and a couple of tsp of olive oil works for me. you could eliminate the olive oil. it stays solid at temps in the mid 80s and doesnt harden too much at least down about 32 degrees.
after mixing in a douoble boiler set up, let it air cool, if you refrigerate it, to speed up the set time, i find it tends to seperate a little.

I used groundhog and beeswax for 20yrs, now use deer tallow. I have used crisco for lubeing max-balls. Groundhog stays oil at room temps. I had to add beeswax so it didn't run. The deer tallow doesn't have to have any thing in it. I have some beef tallow that Iam going to see how it works. I might have to add beeswax to it. Dilly

It's done and looks great.
The mistake I made was I used Crisco grease(1 lb. of Beeswax with 1 lb. of crisco,then the olive oil.
Today I remelted it and added Crisco Oil.
Now I have 3 lbs of lube,probably enough to last me the rest of my life!! :rotf:
Thanks for the help.

Back