• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubing felt wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessmuck56

40 Cal.
Reaction score
They were out of stock on the lubed felt wads, so I bought the NON- lubed/ dry wads. What's the best method you found for Lubing these up,and what kind of lube. Many Thanks !!!

I've used SPG lube melted in a double boiler and the dry wads just dumped in and stirred until they wick up all the melted lube. I then pick them out with a long tweezers and let them cool on wax paper.
I keep them in zip lock bags ready to load and shoot.

M.D. said:
I've used SPG lube melted in a double boiler and the dry wads just dumped in and stirred until they wick up all the melted lube. I then pick them out with a long tweezers and let them cool on wax paper.
I keep them in zip lock bags ready to load and shoot.
What's SPG ??? Thanks

It's a rather common and famous black powder cartridge lube. SPG stands for the inventors initials .............. Steve Paul Garby I think is how he spells it.
Buffalo Arms sells it in block or tube form I believe.

I just put the wads in a ziploc with a hunk of my lube (TOW Mink Oil Grease) and sap it in the nuker until the lube is all melted. Squish it around with the wads until it's all soaked up. If it looks like they need a little more I put in some more lube and repeat. If they're all coated, I'm done.

M.D. said:
It's a rather common and famous black powder cartridge lube. SPG stands for the inventors initials .............. Steve Paul Garby I think is how he spells it.
Buffalo Arms sells it in block or tube form I believe.
I see your up in Anchorage....I have a friend from there,that just sent me some smoked red salmon,that her grandmother makes ....good stuff !!!!

yeah, I need to pull a few of our fillets out of the freezer and smoke them.Been awhile since I 've hand any. Thanks for the idea.

I use Gatofeo's #1 lube. It's the recipe used on outside lubricated bullets from way back when.

1 part mutton tallow
1 part paraffin was (Gulf wax)
1/2 part beeswax

Place in a jar and melt together in a double boiler fashion (jar inside of pot with heated water). Stir and soak wads in the melted lube then set out to dry on wax paper or some such.

I use this on my REALs and pistol conicals too.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for what rodwha wrote. It works great, is cheap to make and lasts forever. I use it for wads for C&B revolvers and 45 caliber BP cartridges.

And now I have a taste for good smoked salmon, darn it! I see a trip to Wegmans in my future.

Jeff

Zonie said:
IMO, a tube of Bore Butter would be far cheaper and work better on a patch or wad.
That's all I've ever done since I began punching out my own felt wads a few years ago. Dump a big handful into a sturdy plastic dish, squeeze a few lines of NL1000 on top, microwave, stir, microwave, stir, etc.
I picked up a few large RX vials from a drugstore and store them in those works...ziplocs work too of course.

Me too. I heat the mix in a small saucepan (ONLY used for this as it's impossible to get it clean afterwards!) over a low direct flame. Once it's melted turn off the heat and throw in the wads - works with cardboard wads too - and watch them sizzle. Once they stop sizzling use tweezers to lay them on a piece of paper to cool.

I also punch wax pills using the same mix.

I have done several ways. Just put in a plastic bag with yer favorite liquied lube, shake and leave alone for a while.
More often I put in a plastic bag with some soapy water and shake.
But, don't use too much water. If there is excess you might just see soap suds coming out the touch hole after you load. :shocked2:
DAMHIK :redface:

Good idea, I don't know why not I've shot plenty of it smeared over the top of balls in revolvers.
It would probably need a wax paper wad under the wad though so as not to contaminate the powder.

Since I punch my own wads, I spread lube on a sheet of DuroFelt like buttering toast and then put it in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the lube into the felt. I do not over lube my wads. They are almost dry to the touch when the felt cools. Then I punch out the wads and keep them in a pill bottle.

Since your wads are already punched, how you lube them would depend on what lube you are using. if you are using a liquid, you just put them into a container and add your lube. Tumble or agitate the wads so all get moistened. If the lube is a solid or paste, you will need to heat them to melt the lube. Just put them in a microwave safe container, add your lube, stir and microwave until all are evenly lubed.

I've tried mixing olive oil and beeswax (you basically end up with your own version of Bore Butter) but as far as I'm concerned it's too soft. The beauty of the Gatafeo mix is that once it cools it's quite hard (until you leave it in the car on a hot day, then it tends to soften a bit).

I find this BP shooting messy enough without having soft lubes getting on everything!!

Back