• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPH, set trigger not working.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few years ago I picked up a used percussion Lyman GPH, LH in 54 caliber. I'm just now getting around to shooting it but I cannot get the set trigger to work. The front trigger will fire the lock but is stiff. The rear trigger will not set the front trigger. I've pulled the triggers from the stock and nothing looks modified to me. I've moved the adjusting screw in and out with no joy. What am I doing wrong? I'll admit this is my first foray with set triggers.

Do you have an old copy of Track of the Wolf catalog? They have a nice write up on set triggers on one of the pages. If you don't let me know I'll see if I can find it.

Could also be interference from the stock, or the triggers might be inlet too deeply.

With the triggers out of the gun pull the rear trigger till it catches in the notch of the front trigger. If it won’t catch then determine why before proceeding. On some there is a main spring tension adjusting screw that could be an issue.
IMG_0270 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
On this one the front trigger adjusting screw is missing but that won’t be the issue. What maybe the problem is if the spring that bears on the front trigger to move it to engage the rear isn’t working.

I had a similar issue with a used Flintlock GPR. Barely used. A good cleaning and she was good as new. Seems the factory grease gummed everything up.

Many of the Lyman GPR set triggers I have seen had a short adjustment screw (lawyer thing??) and had no impact on whether or not the set trigger worked.

As previously suggested, start with a good cleaning in a solvent that will dissolve old grease and oil, re-assemble and lube it, then see what you have.

THANKS ALL! I downloaded and read the instruction sheet to get an understanding of how these things are supposed to work. Then I disassembled, cleaned and lubed the triggers. After reassembly and some trial and error adjustment the triggers are working. I think the adjustment screw must be short because the instructions said I should be able to release the triggers by turning the screw in, I cannot. I also think that the front trigger return spring might be weak. I have to nudge the front trigger forward just slightly after release. This happens in or out of the gun so I don't think it's rubbing wood.

Looking at ads for the GPH some list a 30" barrel and fiber optic sights. These must be later versions because mine has a 33" barrel, plain buckhorn rear sight and a blade front sight. If it's not raining tomorrow I'm off to the range! I have two weights of conical and some RBs to try.

Back