• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmike

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with the flint version of the GPR? What kind of accuracy should I expect?

I have a .50 and it has no trouble printing 1 1/4 groups at 75 yds. .495 ball, 75 grains of FFF. Ignition has been fast and flawless as long as I've had the gun, 3 years.

It sometimes helps if you ask a very specific question.

Is the flint GPR accurate enough for hunting at a reasonable range given the caliber you get - absolutely.

Will you take home gold medals from a national competition - not likely.

Accuracy is relative to "your reality".

Just about every "off the shelf" side lock muzzle loader still on the market is capable of better results than the guy/gal pulling the trigger.

Unless of course you are in that 5% of shooters that count their accuracy in hundreds of an inch instead of sub 2" groups.

Don't know how you define accuracy. I load my 50 caliber GPR with a .490 ball, .015 to .018 lubed patch (lubed with Hoppe's #9 Plus) and about 65 grs. of Goex 3F powder. Shooting off-hand I can knock over a steel target, approx. 6" wide by 10" high. (I'm not the greatest shot but the GPR is more than accurate.) From a bench rest it will hit almost every time. Paper punching at fifty yards from a rest, I can usually keep about 2 inch groups. A good marksman can probably do better.

Jeff

About the same level of accuracy as you get from a low end semi-auto .22, or maybe a bit better. To a large extent it's determined by how good and how fine your sights are. If you have a thick blade and a coarse rear sight, you should not expect to shoot to the same degree of accuracy as if you were using a much finer set of sights.

The advantage to coarse sights is that you acquire a sight picture much quicker, which can be an advantage in a hunting situation. And that's really what these guns are made to market to. If you really want to see what the gun is capable of, replace them with fine sights, (which will be a disadvantage in the woods).

I have the .54 caliber flint. The lock is fast. Many shooters comment on the lock speed. I can clover leaf at 50 yards, at times, off a bench and no wind with a .530 ball, 95 grains 2F, with 0.017 denim patch. I use dutch's system and use ballistol oil 1:7 with water.

I have not tried shooting at 100 yards.

Back