• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great Plains 50 cal. flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVAED

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a GPR in 50. I have never held one or seen one up close. I have only seen pictures on the internet. I am wonding how well others like them who own them. Would you recomend one?

Mine is a .54 and one of my favorite guns. Good sparker, very accurate, shoulders very nicely for me. I recommend it highly (as well as a .54 over the .50).

I have a .54 I have used for seevral years and love it. I do have a .50 also, but bought it as a kit and the build has gone on the backburner for a while so I cant comment on it just yet--but if it's like my .54, it'll be tough to beat. Also going to put in a vote for .54 being more versatile than .50 though, just in case you're not 100% set on the smaller rifle just yet.

I have a .54 Great Plains Rifle as well and love it. It's a great rifle and accurate too.

Rubincam,
I appreciate the suggestion, and have been trying to fight the temptation for months. As it is, my local range has banned .50s cause of some, um, uh, people with .50 BMGs being stupid, so the owner banned anything and everything that says .50 on the side, so I have been trying to be a good boy. At least til I finish drawfiling the markings off of it. Then I'll have to decide weather or not to stamp it "37ga". What say ye all?

BTW, so some of you dont think less of me, I have spoken with the owner and been told that while they know a .50 ML is a far cry from a .50 BMG, it was purely a matter of being tired of explaining to people that some .50s are ok while others aren't, so they banned all .50s just to keep it simple. But that my .54 and .72 are fine since they aren't .50s so keep shooting those all I want. I then asked if a 37ga, which happens to be use the same balls as my .50 would be ok, and the answer was that its ok as long as it says something "other than .50" on it, while smiling ear to ear. So I guess my days of shooting my .50 CVA are over til it gets reborn as a 37ga, like the GPR kit will have to, either that or leave them unmarked since it's only three or four of us who shoot BP out there out of several hundred members.

Thanks for the info guys. I too would like a .54 but all the .54's I've seen are 1:32 twist and the .50 1:60. I am going to be shooting prb, so i need the slower twist.

Go to Track of the Wolf web sight and under "guns" 3rd page they have both the .50 cal. and .54 cal. GPR in 1 in 60 twist. Right hand and in left hand.

Lyman calls the ones with 1:32" twist Great Plains Hunter, and the 1:60" twist Great Plains Rifle. So make sure you get the "Rifle" when you order and you'll be getting the 1:60". Hope that helps.

I am looking at the rifles at thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com and they are about 150.00 dollars cheaper than everywhere else. They do not say kit rifle, but i wonder about the difference in price. Has anyone here bought one of their Lyman Muzzleloaders?

Last edited by a moderator:
edmelott said:
I am looking at the rifles at thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com and they are about 150.00 dollars cheaper than everywhere else. They do not say kit rifle, but i wonder about the difference in price. Has anyone here bought one of their Lyman Muzzleloaders?

Yes they do have lower prices and they ship fast,I called them and they said there guns are new,but old stock,and there shipping is only $4.95.I know of a few pople who have gotten there guns and are all happy with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one from them also, and the lock and stock are good. I can't speak for the barrel as I got it to turn my .54 GM smoothbore barrel into a complete gun, and this company actually sold me a complete gun for less than the Lyman rep quoted me when I called asking to buy just a stock and lock. Cant complain, and have an extra barrel for in case I need it someday. The stock actually seems like the fit is just as good as on my factory-built GPR, but the finish seems slightly lighter colored than the one I bought a few years ago.

I have several Lymans and like them all. They are not perfect and can usually use a little tweaking and tuning but will work OK right out of the box. Just pay attention to the intial cleaning instructions that come with the rifle.
The GPR's I have seen have a really dark stain on them that hides the grain. I rubbed mine down with a dry rag when I first got it and lightened it up a little. There are surely better meathods to do this. I'd go with a .54 - I just like big chunks of lead.

I checked out Third Generation Shooting Supply and you can't beat the price, so I ordered one on Monday. Should have come today but UPS wants and signature and he came around 4 and I don't leave work till 6. Hopefully I'll catch him tomorrow and be shooting this weekend.

I called third generation and they said yes all guns were NIB. They were clearing out all blackpowder guns both traditional and those unmentionables. they are first come first served and will not be restocked. Impossible to beat deal on remaining guns. For my first flintlock I wanted a 54 cal production to get broke in on before I spring for that custom TVM late Lancaster in 54 :grin: but they were out ...so I got a GPR 50 cal 1in 60 flintlock for 400.00....after mine there are 18 remaining.

I got my rifle this morning. Looks real nice. Had a little trouble fitting the barrel wedges, but finally got them right. i drilled out the touch hole liner to 5/64 and coned the outside the best i could. Am now in the process of cleaning out the barrel with hoppes. I also need to pick up some English flint and some 3fff. I am going to try to use 3fff for priming and in the barrel. Thanks for all the advice from this forum. Any other thoughts would be great, thanks, Ed

”¦ and coned the outside the best i could. ...
:hmm:

This is what I use to cone touch hole liners. It is a counter sink and it is available at hardware stores, Home Depot or Lowe's, etc.

IMG_5747.jpg

I hope you enjoy your new gun! :grin:

Back