• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Hunter Sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO !, I want accuracy and for me to get that I have to be able to see the sights. Everyones eyes are a little different. You will have to look at other shooters guns and then play with different combos to see what works for you. For range use, I really like the Lyman 57 with a globe front sight. For hunting I have used the TC sights, TC peep, and even a fiber optic front. What works for one guy, may not work for the next guy.

I have very low sights on my target rifle and live in the high desert where it is often very hot and usually very bright sun. I don't have any trouble seeing the sights, though I probably would in the dim woods, especially at dawn and dusk.
I like the square outline pistol type rear sight and square front blade, easier for me to be accurate. My rear sight is robbed off a Colt 1911 pistol dovetailed in and my front is a generic steel blade filed down to .165. For hunting I prefer a peep but they are not allowed at the club shoots.

I'm sorry, I should have been a little more specific with my original post. I'm having a really hard time with my sights being fuzzy. They'll be clear for just a little and then I can hardly see my front sight anymore and everything is a blur. I've tried focusing on the front sight, moving my head around on the stock, tried shooting with and without my glasses, and even tried filing the notch in my rear sight a little wider. At 50 yards I'm not accurate because I can't see the sights well enough to aim at the same exact spot twice. That's why I was considering the Lyman sights. I really want to take my gun out on some pronghorn this fall, so I'm trying to find a setup that'll work for me. I like things to be as traditional as possible, so I do cringe a bit at the thought of putting the hunter sights on it, though at this point I'm looking for what'll be most accurrate for me while hunting. I would be willing to try a more traditional set of sights and have looked at some in Dixie's catalog. Would I be able to see through these better than the buckhorn/brass blade factory sights that I have on now? Any suggestions on traditional ones that'll fit my gun? Thanks for you patience on my reply. Life has been pretty busy of late :) Thanks for all your replies too! Hope you all have a great day!

I doubt you'll find an open sight which improves your vision, it's just a limitation of all open sights and it sounds like you have already tried the usual "improvements". A rear peep, mounted close to the eye so that you look through it, not at it, is the only real solution. A peep aperture close to the eye sharpens the view of both front sight and target. You may not like it but it works.

Flinter987 said:
I'm sorry, I should have been a little more specific with my original post. I'm having a really hard time with my sights being fuzzy. They'll be clear for just a little and then I can hardly see my front sight anymore and everything is a blur. I've tried focusing on the front sight, moving my head around on the stock, tried shooting with and without my glasses, and even tried filing the notch in my rear sight a little wider. At 50 yards I'm not accurate because I can't see the sights well enough to aim at the same exact spot twice. That's why I was considering the Lyman sights. I really want to take my gun out on some pronghorn this fall, so I'm trying to find a setup that'll work for me. I like things to be as traditional as possible, so I do cringe a bit at the thought of putting the hunter sights on it, though at this point I'm looking for what'll be most accurrate for me while hunting. I would be willing to try a more traditional set of sights and have looked at some in Dixie's catalog. Would I be able to see through these better than the buckhorn/brass blade factory sights that I have on now? Any suggestions on traditional ones that'll fit my gun? Thanks for you patience on my reply. Life has been pretty busy of late :) Thanks for all your replies too! Hope you all have a great day!

Hey Flinter.
With my eyesight changing it makes me crazy.
I'm going with a tang peep on the New Englander to see (it's too early to be punny) how well it works.
Thinking about trying a rear with two drilled apertures on my Lymans GPR with the fast twist .40 barrel. A possible alternative could be an adjustable "long Hawken" type modified to have a peep on it instead of a semi-buckhorn. But, I do not yet know if these would be set close enough to provide as much ghost ring effect as I'm after.

I empathize with the original poster. My eyesight has gone to hell in the past few years. Second thing that goes with growing old....

I have bitten the bullet, so to speak, not literally, but have installed a peep sight way back on the rear of the barrel, kept the old buckhorn style that was on the barrel about 12 inches from the breach, and am installing a globe sight on the muzzle to replace the old blade sight. It is much better, especially in low light.

Peep sights were used in the 1700-1800's but certainly the peep sight and globe I have installed are NOT traditional but at least now I can see to hit the target again although not as good as I could with old iron sights even 4 years ago. I would rather have non traditional sight setup on my flintlocks and keep shooting them over seeing them unused because I can no longer utilize the sights that are on them. Since I am using mine for target and hunting and NOT for traditional rendevous or educational purposes, then I am forced to resign myself to "peeps and globes". At least I did not put a scope on them!! :thumbsup:

SR.Chief said:
You could look at these SIGHTS

Put a set of those on a Deerhunter after the factory sights self-destructed. Well, OK, I helped the destruction a little. But, the replacement sights are really a nice fit for the Deerhunter (affectionately referred to as "The Flintglock"), the most unattractive shooting iron I've ever owned and one of the most reliable. The sights work.

Flinter987 - those Lyman Hunter Sights worked real well for me on my Great Plains Rifle. Decent for target work and great in the forest :thumbsup:

Back