• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman plains cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeboleo1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just a quick question. Anxiously awaiting arrival of first bp pistol and trying to get what I need. What percussion caps does the Lyman Plains pistol use. Does it take the #11 or is there a pistol only cap? Thank you.

Joe if it follows the usual nipples on all of their guns---the #11's should fit without any problems. :front:

Joe if it follows the usual nipples on all of their guns---the #11's should fit without any problems. :front:

Ditto on what he said...

I've never used anything but #11 caps on my old Plains pistol. But there are variances that occur sometimes in machining.

Just make sure that you don't go putting undue or excessive force to fully seat the cap down on the nipple. Caps are extremely hard to ignite by impact--except when they are on a nipple. Then they are unusually easy to set off. But it's nothing to fear, just use common sense.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

Gentlemen --- thank you very much. Now I can go grab a tin and get ready. Thanks

joeboleo1,

A little tip, so long as you are gathering up goodies for the pistol. Get a couple of faucet washers. You can slip one over the nipple and dry fire the gun without damaging anything. They work great for practice, or for testing a trigger pull.

Remington #10's work best on mine, but as I bought the pistol used, I don't know if it's the original nipple.

Rat.

Greetings Joeboleo,something elsle you may wish to consider is the purchase of .495 diametre round balls.A .490 will work but the pistol is carried muzzle down and w/ all that motion it is conceiveable the ball could come off the powder creating an unhealthy "shortstart" sitch.I use .495's in my GPR and my pistol aswell.Patch should be approximately .010.Best regards,Jack.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Finally got to try it out and had a ball. Now comes practice - practice. Thanks again for all the suggestions --- sure makes it easier when you start out. Thanks again

Back