• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman trade rifle loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbent

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My wife just bought me a new lyman trade rifle, flinter 54 cal..1 in 48 twist. I am trying to find the right loads for target and elk hunting this year. I tried the loads that I use on my tc hawkins 50 but not the ideal load for the 54. I also tried the same loads as my 62 flinter it shot almost dead center at 100 yds for 3 shots. I cleaned it but it is shooting low and then high. I tried 50 grains of 3f with 4f primer .015 pillow ticking no good. I tried 60 grains3 f with an .018 prelubed patch it was better. After 50 shots I have tried everything I know. Anyone have any suggestions?
Wayne :hatsoff:

Did you scrub your barrel out with brake cleaner to remove the gunk that Lyman puts in there? I have a .54 T/C Hawkens with 1 in 48" twist that does not like balls. That's OK, because I bought it for conicals only. I get 1 1/2" groups with 80 grains of FFg, Wonder Wad and 400 grain T/C Maxi-Ball that I cast. I have two .54 GPRs, one cap and one flint, that gets one ragged hole at 50 yards with .530 ball, pillow ticking patch lubed with Ballistol and 80 grains of FFg. Almost the same group size at 100 yards with 90 grains of FFg. Have to keep trying to find that right load. That Lyman will do it :thumbsup:

Give this proven system a try. It really works and is a cheap investment that you cankeep and use as long as you are shootng muzzleloaders. I purchased the information several years ago and it has worked for all of my rifles.
www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com

Last edited by a moderator:
cowpoke1955 said:
Did you scrub your barrel out with brake cleaner to remove the gunk that Lyman puts in there?

That's a BIG deal! ya gotta clean all that packing grease out before shootin!! best to scrub and clean,,an scrub an clean somore till a white patch comes out white!
Maybe check into "Barrel break in" time or techniques before trying to find a load.
You still have time before season, but in my experiance, with 50 shot's down the bore you still have 150 more to go.

[/quote]You still have time before season, but in my experiance, with 50 shot's down the bore you still have 150 more to go.[/quote]

Very true...

Yes ,brake cleaner was used as soon as I pulled it out of the box. I will try ffg this weekend along with some different patches. Need to shoot the hawkins and the 62 anyway!!
Wayne

Thanks, for the link I bookmarked it for reading later tonight.
Wayne :thumbsup:

Hello from Germany!

I had the Investarm Hawken in .54 which is very similar to the trade rifle. I got my best groups with 90 grs WANO FFg (Schützen), .535 PRB, .010" lubed patch and a spittled overpowder wad.

Regards

Kirrmeister

My .54 Trade Rifle likes 90 grains of Goex 2F, lubed wad, pillow ticking patch and .535 ball.

HD

Back