• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made a hike out of it.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I set out some trail cams getting a start on Bear season, my son had the day off so we went together. Always a good thing.
We made a hike of it and explored some areas we hadn't been before and some of my favorites we both like to see again and again.

Here is a short Video of some of those favorites (We won't talk about the old man huffing and puffing my way along the trail, while my son hardly broke a sweat.)

Great stuff. That little stream has a lot of flow for its size. Does it have water year round?
Yes, year round water, though you can't get near it for the snow much of the winter.

They expanded the trail for Mt. Bikers, and added those boulders to cross the creek last year( or maybe 2019 ) I've been going in there for years and years and always before the "Trail" was about 8" wide.

My Son and I were talking about it, on the one hand it's a little sad to lose the seclusion we had there, on the other hand the bike riders seem to just shoot down the improved trail and never even stop except at that crossing.

They miss So much!! For one thing the service berries, we both ate about a hundred just by reaching up and picking one or two here and there, there were millions along the trail. . . .bet the bikers don't even know. . . .

Service berries and bears! They go together like kids and candy 🍬🤪

Except here when the Acorns are ripe the bears almost totally quit the berries. A Wild life Officer told me years ago it was like an electrical switch, one day every bear dropping would be full of Berry seeds and then the Acorns star to ripen and within a few days, there isn't berry seed one in any Bear droppings, it becomes almost 100% about getting that oily fat from the acorns ( 68 calories in 1 oz with shell, ) to build body fat for winter.

service berries aka Saskatoon are much like small cherries. Elderberries grow in a fan type cluster. eat a hand full of elderberries straight and look like this.

Attachments

• c3c3f69dd937da7fff9d9f86e51ed4dd.jpg
    c3c3f69dd937da7fff9d9f86e51ed4dd.jpg
    32.6 KB
service berries aka Saskatoon are much like small cherries. Elderberries grow in a fan type cluster. eat a hand full of elderberries straight and look like this.
Since I only have one kidney, I drink a lot of water. I put a teaspoon of pure elderberry juice in it....makes the water taste better and it's supposed to be an old healthy berry.

Has anyone experiance with freezing
For years my brother and I have been miscalling those Elderberries. Thanks for the lesson.

So many berries have more than one name. . .it's easy to mix them up. . . I think, the other common name for Serviceberries is "June Berries" not "Elderberries" but there could be other berries also known as June berries :doh:

I looked them up. Elderberries are their own thing, which I already knew (look up the basis of the Monty Python insult about smelling of elderberry, lol)
But, serviceberry is know by a few things
Screenshot_20210801-143829_Chrome.jpg
Interestingly the names "shadows, shadwood, and shadblow," are from the plant blooming, "when the shad run."

I looked them up. Elderberries are their own thing, which I already knew (look up the basis of the Monty Python insult about smelling of elderberry, lol)

I always assumed the speaker being French the insult had to do with "Elderberry wine" being a cheap low quality "wine" Compared to wine of the Grape. .

Now you have me wondering . . . . .Was I right?

I always assumed the speaker being French the insult had to do with "Elderberry wine" being a cheap low quality "wine" Compared to wine of the Grape. .

Now you have me wondering . . . . .Was I right?
Very close.
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries," -Monty Python

Basically saying, your father is a low class cheap drunk.

In the UP the service berries grew very well toward the Eastern end where I lived in the summer. The bushes were more like trees in some places.

I never heard of service berries until I came to Colorado. We called them sugar plums. Many times i didn’t find enough blueberries to fill the bucket so i topped it off with sugar plums.

Back