• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made Meat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsday

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been hunting the PA M/L antlerless season this week. It's a one week chance for a doe that's open for all sorts of muzzleloaders.

I'm always looking for one mature doe to get the freezer primed for the year.

I hunted Saturday with my dad and ended up helping him with his doe. So I took Wednesday off to try for one for myself.

Wednesday morning was a beautiful 30 degrees with a heavy frost.

First deer walks out at 8 am. A BUCK. Never fails, when you want a doe all you can find is a buck!

2012-10-17_08-01-48_41.jpg

Nice to see him but I really wanted a doe. Saw a flock of turkeys but nothing else til 10 am. Got down and started still hunting up through a piece of woods and sure enough I snuck up on another small buck.

Went home and cut wood for a couple hours.

Back in the stand for the evening by 4 pm.

At 6 pm I heard deer charging down hill coming in on my stand. They all came to a screeching halt around me. A button buck stood just below me and another deer stood about 30 yards off in the thick. I could hear the third one walking but couldn't turn becuse of the close watch on me by the other two.

Finally the second deer walks out and it is the big momma. I waited for a broadside shot but the little buck flared his tail again and was fixin to leave. Momma turned full front on so I though that might be my last chance for a clean shot.

I was shooting down on her a bit so I held a little high on the throat to angle down into the chest.

The smoke cleared and there she laid. DRT!!

2012-10-17_18-23-19_336.jpg

The ball hit the mark. The lungs were scrambled. No exit hole. Skinned her out and cleaned her up. Still didn't find the ball. We'll cut her up this weekend. I'll attempt a more thorough post mortem then.

50 cal, PRB, 90 grains FFg

Now what do you think the chances are of finding that buck in late November?

Greg

Great job, and good meat. That was a real nice buck. December??? I don't know, too many variables in addition to that buck wising up. Good luck and thanks for sharing. Nice rifle by the way.

My congrats. Nice buck, beautiful gun and a great hunt. What else can you ask for except to see that buck again when you can take him. Hope you do and good luck.

Congrats!! To me,that's THE PERFECT eatin' deer. There's no doubt your taste buds will take a likin' to her just fine! As far as the buck is concerned,you'll get him just be patient. Good luck and nice shootin'!!

Nice doe, Greg, and a beautiful rifle, too! Thanks for posting the photos to go along with the story of a good hunting trip - that buck is worth getting after :thumbsup:

Great job!pretty rifle too. Anybody can take game with modern rifles, a select few take em with primitive firearms. :thumbsup:
Nit Wit

That's a great freezer deer. I like your rifle, too. I don't know; if it were legal I'd have to have taken that very nice buck. Good luck on your next quest.

2012-10-17_18-23-19_336.jpg

Congrats..Good shooting!Nice boom stick !Hope Mr. Big reappears..Thanks for the pic's!

Back