• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

made meat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmtnboy

62 Cal.
Reaction score
well today is the last day of the CO muzzleloader season and it's raining like I haven't seen sense the great flood.
But that's ok my elk is in the deep freeze and after this post I am on my way back to North west Montucky where I move to with my family this summer.
I will still be a CO resident until my wife who is in nursing school getting her masters is done a year from this Jan. So next fall my very last CO hunting season I will be cashing in my many points for Bull elk, Buck muely, and Black bear.
So next year I hope to have a few more exciting photos.
Well as most CO residents know this had to be a record wet summer and when I showed up from Montucky Wed before season man I had to set a wet camp cut wet wood and just plain deal.
But lo and behold Fri cleared and I enjoyed one of the most vibrant fall hunts I can remember.
After a two day slow start, seeing plenty but not getting a shot I found a bull with several cows. I can call the Bull in and he will, nine times out of ten dump his cows in my lap. Well as providence would have it the bugger came running blowing spunk all over himself and everything else, DAMN! he stood over me and the scrub bush I was glued to so close I could have stuck my gun barrel in his chest and ended it right there.
I shut up and after a wile he moved back to his cows. Well time to out think the bugger, I stood up and moving away I called like several cows moving off and away from the herd.
Holy manure it was like a Bull freak out I had never seen. He rounded up his herd and ran them over me.
I stopped the lead cow ( a big ol gripe) and got a ten yrd broad side.
She dumped they ran meat in the freezer.

I have been waiting for you to post as your pics an story's are right up there in the top :bow: . Thanks for the fine pics. What make an caliber and load on that cussion?

The last four years I have been hunting with 50 cal Leman flintlock 15/16th across the flats,using 100 grns of Goex with a 490 rb and .030 canvase patch greased with elk tallow and bear or marmot oil. but this year being short on time, not worrying about being pre 1840's, and how wet CO was leading up to hunting season I pulled out my killing mochine.
It's a 54 cal Leman 7/8th across the flats using 110 grns of Goex express(1850fps at the barrel) using a 530 rb a .028 canvas patch greased with elk tallow and bear oil.
:thumbsup:

Glad you were able to put some meat on the table! That's a great story and wonderful pictures to go with it!! I like your dogs also :thumbsup: I hope they got a treat :). What? no Bull tag? You wouldn't have had to drag him far.

I had been wondering where he was :hmm: now I see :grin: Thankye for the pics & story :wink:

Congrats on another fine hunt GMB. Thanks for posting the great story and pics :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

Congrats on a very successful hunt, Greenmtnboy! :hatsoff: Thanks for posting those beautiful photos, too. Can't wait for hunting season :grin:

Congrats! I always look forward to opening your threads, great story and picks as always. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Tracy

Congrats! Great pics, thanks for sharing! :hatsoff: Nice gun, but the lock is on the wrong side. :wink:

Congrats on a successfull hunt! Great Pics! We Were in unit 42 and The elk were few and far between! So many hunters it was in sane. We are looking for a better unit for the future! Looks like you were where it was at!! If'n you are not going to be hunting there anylonger, and are not worried about the competition any more, maybe you could share your knowledge with a fellow flintlock hunter! :grin:
PT me the unit. Any help would be apprecieated I don't want to fight the pumpkin patch any more! I just want some meat!
Again congrats and awesome pics!! Good Luck in Montucky!!

Back