• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Magnum load for turkeys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patocazador

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I loaded up some 3 1/2" multi-metal shot cups with #5 copper-plated shot today. The shot contents weighed 1 3/4 oz. I plan to use 80 gr. of 2FG with this load if I can handle the recoil.

Anyone use a similar heavy load for turkeys? If so, what powder charge gives you the best groups?

You might want to check the penetration on an empty tuna can. More weight = less muzzle velocity, but more pellets. You're shooting three drams of powder, so that's a good load on paper, the next question is, how far away?

The other guys have had success, so you've got a starting point. If you try to pattern the load on a paper turkey-head silhouette...see if you get a significant increase in pellets in the head target, from say 1¼ ounce to 1¾ ounce. Those in the turkey head do the harvesting...if the heavy charge doesn't increase the hits...then you are merely wasting lead. IF they do significantly increase, check the penetration, and if they punch through the empty tuna can, you're good to go. :grin:

LD

54/28ga: 80 grains of FFFG and an ounce and a quarter of number six lead shot. I wrap my shot in butcher paper, double thickness and tear off the end of the paper to load. Over powder card, Circle fly cushion wad, and over shot card. The trick for me is pattern density and uniformity not velocity. :thumbsup:

In my 12 bore I use 80 grains FFF, 1 overpowder card, 1 greased 1/4" wad, 1 1/2 oz #6 chilled lead shot and 1 overshot card. I put my shot in a paper shot cup made out of an index card.

Update:
I tried the 1 3/4 oz. of #5s with 80 gr. of 2F and the load whacked my cheekbone .. HARD! Plus it didn't give a good pattern.
I finally got what I was looking for with 1 7/8 oz. of #6s and 75 gr. of 2F. Even though there is more lead in this load, it was pleasant to shoot. No cheekbone whacking.

This is at 32 yards.

I should be ready for the opener on the 21st ... if the turkeys will cooperate.

I have killed more then one tom with my 1 1/8 oz load on 70 grains 2f.Used to think it was 7/8 oz...misfigured :redface: Never had more then 4 or 5 shots in the head. Neck and body hits dont count. I use a mix of 4 and 6. makes them in to dinner.

That load will do it. Shot in head and neck is what counts. My Pedersoli 10 gauge required a heavier load of powder (110 grains, 2f) with 1 1/2 oz. of #5s. This was the best load after many, many combinations. A detachable recoil pad helped during the load development :shocked2: but was not needed when hunting - never felt it when I dropped the hammer on a big 10" bearded gobbler :grin:

I use 2oz. of No. 6's with 80grs of 3f in my .20ga. Colerain Turkey Barrel. Far as recoil..this gun only weights a little over 6lbs..and it shoves pretty good when it goes off with this load and differently makes a boom. I don't mind the shove type recoil with black powder.

I shoot a Pedersoli 10ga dbl that's cyl/modified. I run 1 3/4oz #6 with an op card, 1/2" lubed fiber wad, and an os card in the cyl bore for close range shots inside of 20yds and run the same in the mod brrl except its laced with #5 for 20-30yd shots. Both brrls are propelled by 80gr T7 ffg. Penetrates tuna can at 30yds, even with the cyl bore but pattern is too open at that range for that brrl.

Back