• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Makes me sick.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bald Baron

36 Cal.
Reaction score
While channel surfing the other night, I stopped on the Men's Channel. It usually has a hunting adventure of some kind. Well in this show, it was about two or three hunters that went out west to hunt Caribou. They spotted a nice buck they believed they could get. One hunter, no one shooter started shooting. He shot about four or five rounds with his high-powered, scoped rifle. You could see him shoot then the round would hit the ground usually in front of the buck. The buck would then run a short distance and offer another shot. The shots were around two to three hundred yards. I didn't like this at all. I love to hunt, but I believe in, "one shot, one kill." I know some animals will run off after a good hit, but you should not send rounds down range hoping for a hit. These, "hunters" were not prepared for shooting at that distance, but joked about it. I don't think they will be hunting with black powder or traditional archery, good! Remember, don't pull the trigger unless you know where the bullet (patched round ball) is going to hit.

I have to agree with you. All to often on some of these hunting shows they depict the hunter doing something that most hunters would never dream of doing. Your example of them taking shots that they were not qualified to make. The anti hunting people love to see that.

I watched one program where they were shooting at a mule deer standing on the top of a hill, with no idea what was over the hill. Of course I am sure they were on a private hunt, but still you never shoot not knowing where a shot might land.

Anti Hunters then point out how all these crazy armed people are in the woods taking shots at anything they see not caring whether they hit it our not. I think hunting programs like that need to be called on the carpet. They are showing an example of hunting which is untrue.

And your right it is sickening to watch. They would never make it with a muzzleloader.

You guys are absolutley correct. Idiots like that do give hunters a bad name. We already have enough going against us as it is.
I will stand by my beliefe-that if you are going to take an animals life, you owe it a clean kill. People bragging about 400-500+ yard shots make me mad. Very few hunters are that good, with the variables at that range. And if we wound and lose an animal its a lose-lose situation.
I for one will only shoot when I'm reasonably sure of a clean kill. One must know their (and their gun's) limitations. :imo:

I have seen some programs in the same class as you mention and I swear it is the anti's who put such manure together for propaganda. I try to get the credits at the end to see who these jerks are .

Woody

What network was it and what was the name of the show?
I bet we'd all like to see it and voice our opinions about it to the network.

Huntin

You got it, huntin. Each time I see one of these, I write the network and complain. I tell them if I see one more, I'll write their sponsors with my complaints and recommend other more responsible networks. I also take a flier at the producer of the show, saying I've watched the last of their productions till I hear different, no matter who's network they appear on.

In almost every case I get a letter back, which I answer in turn. About half the time, at least if a network is serious about their viewers, I even get a phone call.

Most of the network execs know sales and diddly poop about hunting, safety and ethics (and deep down inside they are a little nervous about it). If you are reasonable but firm in your criticism while offering corrective measures, they're actually happy to hear from you.

Anyone with a video camera and letterhead stationary is selling himself as an outdoor producer these days, swindling free trips from guides, lodges and outfitters while occasionally managing to get his sorry drivel aired. They stand three abreast in lines to get onto airplanes coming to Alaska these days. It's HIGH time we put the kibash on all these twits and helped network execs get some quality programming back on the air! (And if anyone reading this sees their video camera as a ticket for a free hunting trip, look out. Guides, lodges and outfitters talk to each other up here and your first free trip might be fun, but the second one will be a whole lot longer and more miserable than you could ever guess!)

I'll take a deep breath now.

You guys are absolutely correct. Idiots like that do give hunters a bad name. We already have enough going against us as it is.
I will stand by my belief-that if you are going to take an animals life, you owe it a clean kill. People bragging about 400-500+ yard shots make me mad. Very few hunters are that good, with the variables at that range. And if we wound and lose an animal its a lose-lose situation.
I for one will only shoot when I'm reasonably sure of a clean kill. One must know their (and their gun's) limitations. :imo:

Yes, This is the reason I like hunting with my flintlock 400-500 yard shots are too easy! I shoot groundhogs in the head at these distances. I do know my limitations!

And Woodhick you're right when you say, "I have seen some programs in the same class as you mention and I swear it is the anti's who put such manure together for propaganda."

Then we fall into their plans by criticizing other hunters who may know their limitations! To make statements about anyone who talks of shooting 400 or 500 yards is wrong Flint50 if you don't know their skill level! Come on guys let's not fall into their trap!

YMH&OS,
Chuck

I thought for sure somebody was gonna sneak in a comment about "800 yards".....what a relief!

I agree with all of the above!

Yes, This is the reason I like hunting with my flintlock 400-500 yard shots are too easy! I shoot groundhogs in the head at these distances. I do know my limitations!

And Woodhick you're right when you say, "I have seen some programs in the same class as you mention and I swear it is the anti's who put such manure together for propaganda."

Then we fall into their plans by criticizing other hunters who may know their limitations! To make statements about anyone who talks of shooting 400 or 500 yards is wrong Flint50 if you don't know their skill level! Come on guys let's not fall into their trap!

YMH&OS,
Chuck [/quote]

Sorry-no offense meant huntin-I thought we were talkin big game. I have a .223 that will nail targets cosistently at 500+. I was refering to guys who dont have the equipment or skill and take the shot anyway.

No offence taken but you said, "People bragging about 400-500+ yard shots make me mad." And I was just trying to say we should all stick together my point was if I can nail a groundhog in the head at 500 yards a deer's vitals should be no problem. And I groundhog hunt wth my deer rifle just for the practice.

I'm sorry I don't mean to offend if we were talking in person I could get my point across much better.

I feel we are trying to please the antis to much we put down something that they think is not ethical. Well my point is they think we all are unethical if they had their way all hunting would be stopped.

Do you see what I'm driving at. If we put down another style of hunting where will it stop. They're after bowhunters first cause they say it cruel and unusual way to die. Then next trapping and Muzzle loaders are in their sights also.

We shouldn't let them divide and conquer us. We will always have hunters who don't know their limitations, idiots who shoot 400 & 500 yards with their 40 cal round ball rifle. Guys who shoot at deer beyond a reasonable distance with archery tackle.

I would hope that we can all stand together to defeat the anti-hunters. That's all! You're alright in my book and I agree with 99% of your posts. It's just a little pet peave of mine. LOL!

If it wasn't for the antis we all wouldn't get so uptight and worry about some bad hunters putting us in a bad light.

YMH&OS, :redthumb:
Chuck

Huntin' - in that next to last sentence, did you really mean LOL, or did you mean to say FCOL (for cryin' out loud)? :hmm:

With the best rifle in the world I couldn't hit a groundhog at 500 yards. Heck, I pass up 100 yard shots at deer because I can't see or shoot that well. Course I shoot at targets that far. Had the same one for a year now, it's not even hurt. ::

You're talking hunting ethics. In Wyoming, if you were born after 1966, you have to take a hunter safety course before the state will issue you a hunting license. Three hours of that course are spent on hunter ethics. I think everyone should have to take at least that portion of the class to be allowed to hunt, regardless of their[url] age...in[/url] my eyes it is the second most important facet of hunting, right after safety.

Not trying to defend the hunting show you were referring to, but did the shooters check zero on their rifles before going afield? Every competent outfitter/guide will insist that their hunters check their equipment before hunting. Every type of firearm and most bows can be jostled enough during transport to bugger up something enough to cause a miss. The only reason I point this out is that most modern firearms, even zeroed at 100 yards, will hit a caribou-sized target at 300. (Not necessarily in the kill zone, but still on the 'bou.) :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
For me the issue is not technical. Sure the shot can be done by someone responsible. The more important point is that these guys were stretched way beyond their abilities and behaving like idiots. The world is full of them, but it doesn't mean that their antics need to be glorified and waved around in public like it is an accepted standard for all hunters.

The ethical issues are the video producer that was so hard up for footage that he showed the sequence, and the network that was so hard up for advertizing dollars that he ran it when he got it. Put someone else in front of the camera. Hire a different producer. Sell your ads on another network. That's the only way to weed out trash on TV.

if you think about it, its the industry that makes things like that happen. Most of the hunting shows i see now, the guns are loaned to the "hunters" who then have to show that the weapon in question is capable of making the most extreme shots.
And then look at the accessory makers, they try to shame us into getting the newest and most expensive scopes possible. Its why we have the ancient "50 dollar rifle with 500 dollar scope" joke.

Surely the "antis" use such material to make their point. But I've met (and know) to many "good ole boys" who have that "shoot no matter how far" attitude. I mentioned to a fellow not long ago that I had a gobbler run by my stand like a roadrunner one Spring Hunting season. "Why didn't you shoot?" he asked. After replying that I didn't have a good clean shot, with the brush and all, he said "I woulda been burnin' lead. If you don't shoot, you don't get". :no: This attitude is indeed sickening. :shake:

While in the hardware store early this winter, I was make'n idle "chit-chat" with a fella behind the counter. When I asked him if he "got his deer this year",.... he replied, "no, but I got a lot of shots"!! (centerfire hunters, go figure! :eek: :youcrazy:)

YMHS
rollingb

i have watched this thred i personaly do not have the skill to shoot at aney thing at 800 yds with aney gun but there are people goodenough out there with plenty of cash and the best equiptment money can bye the wind is a whole nother storey that is what seperates the big dogs http://wildcatshooting.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=45 vinny

Back