• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making an English Turn-off Pistol for Fort Dobbs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sam,
I don't know. I've looked at 270 year old originals that appear to have little wear on the threads and were quite shootable. On this pistol, there was no powder fouling visible on the threads after shooting. It seemed to make an excellent gas seal. But I cannot answer your question because I just don't know.

dave

Hi,
Thank you all for looking and commenting. I did enjoy doing this one and am pleased it came out well. As I wrote previously, having made one before really helped but it also helped to closely examine a bunch of original pistols. Turn-off pistols of all sorts are not particularly rare and they come up for sale frequently. They were so popular in early 18th century Britain. I made the barrel wrench today. I made the ring from thick flat steel and pinned then welded it to a round steel handle. It came out well. I'll post photos tomorrow. I have to polish it and then case harden the ring. I am going to give it a nice temper blue. Then it is fully cure the stock, polish the gun with Renaissance Wax, and ship it to Fort Dobbs and wait for the state of North Carolina to pay me.

dave

Back