• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making meat on the last day.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally after a full season of only seeing two deer, it all came together on the last morning of the Vt. muzzle season.

Sat for 2 hours on a cold morning 14 degrees with a crust covered crunchy snow on the ground. There was no option for my preferred method of still hunting; or at least I thought.

I was seated at the end of an old stone wall up against a big ole maple. Having the need to move to get warm I figured my only option was to walk back to the truck and call the season quits when I realized there are benefits to being in the Balance Board business. I saw that the tops of the individual rocks on the stone wall we clear of snow and if I took my time I could walk/balance myself on top of the stones without making any crunching noises.

Well after 30 minutes, 200 yards, several shifting stones under foot, a much warmer body, I heard deer crunching my way. Yeee Haaa.... it worked!

I stayed put on that wall and sure enough this mature 120 pound doe gave me a shot at 40 yards.
A 50 cal round ball to the neck dropped her in her tracks. What a season. :)

By the way I now have taken a deer on the last day of the season as well as the first, and I must say, I much prefer putting in a full season even if I had only seen two deer total.

Now its on to PA for my buck.
P5090004.jpg

P5090006.jpg

:photoSmile: I mean VIDEO! :rotf: oh to see that! well hell Bru IT WORKED! Attaboy :thumbsup: an Congrats! :hatsoff:

primitive balance stone? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :blah:

:thumbsup: It is nice to put in an entire season. I got mine the first day and only went out when my wife wanted to after that. She got one on the second last day.

I guess deer meat will be part of your balanced diet :shake: Sorry, could not help myself.
Grats, great story :hatsoff:

Hey Jethro,
I see you edited the image tag I put up. I didn't think I did it right. Can you tell me the correct way to post a photo?

Hey RC,
I too was thinking it would have been cool to get a photo/video of me on the top of those stones.
Thanks for the kind words.
Ordered my PA license yesterday. Looks like I'm going. A little snow would be great.

Where you going in PA? I live in York. Hope you have a successful hunt in PA. I have seen a few doe during archery and rifle season. Hopefully will see some during flintlock season.

Hey HH,
I am headed into the Eastern portion of the state which is fairly close to my in-laws where I will be for xmas. Gonna join me?

Back