• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making your own cover scent...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
One of the things that is a reality of life is that many things cost money. I use a lot of the cover scent sprays while hunting. One spray costs about $15.00 a bottle. So if you are like me, you spend a few bucks each week or so.

I did some searching and found a formula to make your own cover scent spray.

You take one cup of baking soda and pour it into a non reactive bowl with 16 oz of distilled water and 16 oz of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Add 1 oz of a non scented shampoo and whisk the ingredients together. Let it settle and then put it in a 1 gallon container for three days. Keep a loose cover on it during that time. Take the liquid scent killer and put it in a clean spray bottle.

I made one plain batch and now I am doing some experimentation. I am doing the same thing but I took a bunch of oak leaves, acorns and acorn stems. I have boiled them in an old coffee can with distilled water to create a tea. I plan to add this in place of the distilled water to make a fall scent killer.

I'll let everyone know how well it works.

I'm betting your tea is going to be pretty acidic, laced with tannic acid from the oak. How's that going to react with the baking soda and hydrogen peroxide? Not being critical, rather I simply don't know if the acid would neutralize any of the other things going on in your solution.

Not trying to rain on anybody's parade...half of the fun of anything is the tinkering around with stuff like this...but...I just wanted to offer that I think cover scents are extremely over-rated because after all is said and done, the single largest contributor to producing downwind human scent is our breath.

We breathe and exhale hundreds and/or thousands of gallons of hot, stinky human breath from the moment we set foot into the woods until we leave...and it floats along right to the nose of a deer.

IMO, we could step into a full size plastic bag and duct tape it around our necks, but downwind deer would still catch our scent on the breeze from all the hot air being pumped out of our lungs.

Just my .02 cents on the matter

If agricultural areas, as opposed to true wilderness areas, I find that deer are not spooked by smells associated with humans. Human scent is common throughout the year, as farmers and other work the land, cut trees, build burn piles and burn debris while maintaining the land. Often, deer will actually come running when they hear the sound of a chain saw, or farm equipment working. They seem to like to watch what we do. I used to think they resented any destruction of their habitat, but I don't believe that any more.

Straight baking soda will eliminate, or neutralize human odor on clothes, as good as anything.

A good masking scent can be made ON SITE by simply picking up hands full of grasses, or leaves, and debris in the area you are hunting, green or brown, and rubbing those plants and stick on your pants, and shoes.

Roundball is right to some extent. our own breathing sends out thousands of newly dead skin cells( called rafts) from out nose and mouth, into the air, and each cell carried our unique odor. The heat off the back of your neck, you face, your hands and ankles are also sources of rafts carrying your odor. The odor is created when bacteria attacks the rafts when they land on ground or vegetation, and begin eating the rafts. In cold weather, it is useful to wear hips boots, or even waders, to keep your skin cells inside that rubber garment, and not falling to the ground. ( Roundball's idea of a plastic bag, in part). Use the local grasses and plant debris on the rubber boots, legs and crotch of the hip boots or waders, to further mask your presence. Wear glove to cover both the hands and wrist, and use a jacket or parka that has those wrist bands to seal in your skin cells in the sleeves of the jacket. Wear a baclava, or ski mask or some form or camouflage face cover to hold your skin cells in your garments, and filter your breath. Use a hooded sweatshirt or hooded parka to keep all the rafts off the back of your neck and head inside your jacket. 65% of all your body heat goes out the back of your neck or head, so this is a very important area to cover.

Most important is simply learn to move so slowly that you don't work up a sweat, or breath heavily. When your heart rate is at its sitting rate, you are not producing large quantities of rafts that will carry your scent out from your body.

We lose skin rafts all day long. As you read this, rafts are floating off the back of your head and neck. If you move your hands and arms to type an response to this or any other post, the movement creates a bellows effect with your shirt sleeves. If you walk, the movement shoves air up and down each pant leg, blowing out dead skin cells with each step.

That is your source of human " odor ". The colder it is when you are hunting the less moisture there is in the air, and fewer bacteria are active. Its much easier to sneak up on game in the winter than in the fall, when plus 40 degree weather is the optimum temperatures for bacterial growth.

I would not bother with making a tea from the oak leaves. I would simply grab a handful after I leave my car at my hunting spot, and rub them up and down each leg, and in my crotch. I would use a handful of baking soda to dust the inside of my hunting pants before I put them on. Then dust some baking soda on the outside of your hunting clothes. The scent zone for whitetail deer is only about 3-4 feet off the ground, and lower. Only when a buck is standing on his hind legs to eat something from a low branch does his nose get up further off the ground. A tree stand that puts you 6-8 feet off the ground is more than adequate on flat ground. Going higher just increases the risk factor for you if you were to fall. I have been in a tree stand and had deer walking around the base of my tree and ladder stand in the dark before first light. I could hear them, and smell them, but they were not concerned about my presense, if I did not move, or make a noise.

I often suck on wintergreen breaths mints...I don't know if it makes much of a difference but I shoot my quota of deer each year. I do keep my hunting clothes segregated from stinks, mostly away from smokers. If I'm near pines I stick a twig in my pockets particularly cedars. I also step in piles of deer poop when I see them, this helps me figure out which piles are fresh and I gotta think it masks the scent of my boots...

There are also glands on the inside of the knees on the hind legs of bucks that are easy to cut out. After you make a kill on a buck just cut out, freeze and save for next year. Let thaw and and hang close to ground (foot or two). It's more of a lure then a cover sent but you get two free for each buck harvested :wink: Combining with other lures like fake scrapes should enhance performance.

Plus as a smoker I can tell you it is a hard thing to work with when you are doing a serious hunt. I usually bag my hunting clothes when not in use, wash in scent eliminating detergent night before opening day and rebag and don't put them on until at the field. I also stop smoking a few weeks before the season and don't pick up another cigarette until I fill my tag or I go bust.

This actually works, I had a deer walk up to me about 10 yards away while I was in an open field. The land owner requested that I only go for trophy bucks or does so I had to let him go, he was a small 4x4. Proof that a smoker more dedicated to hunting then smoking can get close to deer :wink:

Wash hunting clothes 1 a week during hunting season with a small box of baking soda.
Wash body and head with Ivory soap before going out.
Brush teeth and keep a peppermint in my mouth at all times.
Do not like scents that draw attention to me but like no scent to blend right in with suroundings.
Had the wind blowing over my shoulder and the deer never scented me at 10 yds.

410-er said:
Wash hunting clothes 1 a week during hunting season with a small box of baking soda.
Wash body and head with Ivory soap before going out.
Brush teeth and keep a peppermint in my mouth at all times.
Do not like scents that draw attention to me but like no scent to blend right in with suroundings.
Had the wind blowing over my shoulder and the deer never scented me at 10 yds.

:grin:
You say that like that's some sort of foolproof standard...that if people just do what you described deer would all come to within 10 steps downwind and never know you were there...if I were you I wouldn't bet the farm on that being the norm...there was something else at work that day with that deer :grin:

I do pretty much the same thing, except I do buy and use unscented soap. I too, don't like to use any scents on me, I want to be part of the woods and not draw attention to myself at all. Rebel is also right about using the wind. Of course another way to look at it, is to hunt with the wind to your back, that way you can hunt longer! :grin:

I never said it draws them in.It just makes it all the harder to smell me.This has happened numerous times as I like to hunt corn fields and there ain't no trees to climb there.The buck this time of year will walk into anything as they are CRAZY!If you are able to put yourself within 10 yds of a wise old doe,and I have numerous times,something must be right.It what works for me.
The CLOSEST I ever had doe was 4 at a distance of 2 corn rows while sitting on a 5 gal.bucket covered with a burlap bag!
My brother-in-law is a firm beliver in "smokin"his clothes.He builds a fire with leaves and puts his hunting clothes around it.They soak up the smokey smell and it works for him.

If our mouth is making the smell then a good solution would be to carry a small container of peroxide to rinse with. That stuff kills germs and cuts bad breath like a knife. As a side note if you ever have any gum irritations (or gingivitis) a rinse or brush with peroxide and baking soda really works. My friend the dentist swears by that stuff. GC

"Had the wind blowing over my shoulder and the deer never scented me at 10 yds."

I've done the same with the only scent being a bowl of Chili in my belly from the night before...

tg said:
"Had the wind blowing over my shoulder and the deer never scented me at 10 yds."

I've done the same with the only scent being a bowl of Chili in my belly from the night before...

:grin:

Back