• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Man, the woods are getting right in NC...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Yesterday was the first time I've been in my deer woods since before turkey season...spent a few hours putting up fresh posted signs at the 2 places I have to hunt. Both places had acorns on the ground and signs deer and turkey have been after them...one of the places also had a few inches of good water easing through the ditches down in the 'bottom', a great sign after 2 years of severe drought in NC.

Walking around the property looking things over I headed in the direction of a natural blind I had used last year and when I got about 50yds from it I stopped short because somebody was sitting in it...saw an orange camo hat clear as day. :shocked2:

I stood there watching it a second but then realized it wasn't moving...started walking again and it turns out it was one of my orange camo caps I had left on a limb at the edge of the blind last fall...last time I used that blind it must have been dark and I just walked off and left it hanging. :shake:

PS: As I was about 10 steps from the blind there was a 3-4" cedar tree all gored up and a fresh 2 foot scrape...man, a few hours back in the woods felt great...got a good place, acorns, water, rubs, scrapes...3+1/2 weeks !

Know what ya mean roundball. I was out checking my huntin' pards place and the whole woods floor was covered with acorns literally. checked out both spots we hunt and saw lots of squirrel and deer sign. Good persimmon crop this year too. Spent a little time picking spicewood berries, hickory nuts, and sassafras for tea. Gonna be a good year :grin: ...Bud

Roundball,I thought when the woods started to get right that "I wanna go feeling " would come back.I'm glad to hear you have good sign in your area. I can't wait to get back home myself to check out my area.Good Luck to ya. :thumbsup:

I am always grateful that my maker has let me see another fall. There is something absolutely magical about this time of year. I am glad to hear that things are looking good in North Carolina. If I were uprooted tomorrow, I would be looking to move there.

Hi roundball1

I feel what you mean. I always asking myself how you could stand that your hunting season is so short. Here in Germany for example we can hunt at roedeer from Mai to January. If we had your hunting seasons I'll get sick!!!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Actually, if I still bow hunted, I could deer hunt from early September until January 1st but I dropped bow hunting 10 years ago and have been playing with Flintlocks since then...I take a couple weeks vacation during the rut followed by Thanksgiving holidays and almost live in the woods most of November...prettiest time to be in the woods with all the fall colors and smells of nature...then small game January/February...Turkey April/May...I'm 62 and I get all the hunting I can stand :grin:

I know what you mean. Snuck out on Monday and took my new dog Magnum for a walk in the outlands around the orchard where I hunt. Very close in there and old Magnum had a ball chasing scents along the deer and pig trails. I had my .45 SA with me cause I knew if that big tough Rottweiler roused out a mad sow he'd come running right back to me :haha: . Might have to do some carving for a shooting lane where I want to try and ambush that big whitetail I let go last year. Just 17 more days!

Started buiding a new natural blind yesterday (Saturday) at a different location...ABOUT 35 yards from a trail that crosses a drainage ditch near a few acres of higher ground that has a few oak trees on it.

Planning to finish the blind today and finish putting up the rest of the fresh posted signs on the other 2 sides of the property and I'll be ready for November 8th. :grin:

I have the feeling, but this work manure is really starting to tick me off!! In Md we have an early ML season that started last Thursday and where I hunt runs through next Friday. I was on business travel all of last week and will be departing again Monday evening for what could be the better part of the week.......This was going to be the first concentrated effort with the Haines I built.

Back