• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mark Baker videos.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fort fireman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone watched any of these videos. I've read his two books Apilgrims Journey and they were great. I was just curious if they were worth the time and money. They are like 30 bucks a piece. Does anyone know of any other place I can get one other than Pioneer video. Thanks for the info. Andy

I just purchased the series and they arrived in the mail today. I am working night shift so they will have to wait a couple of days. Each of the series is a two DVD set. I also purchased the Hershel House Gun building series. So I have plenty of good viewing on these cold winter nights.

PJC

Let me know how they are. If they're worth the it or not. I'd appreciate it. Did you order them from American Pioneer video? How long did they take to get to you ?

Yes I ordered them from American Pioneer Video.
They were here in slightly under a week.
Which is phenominal as I am in Ontario/Canada

PJC

fort fireman said:
Has anyone watched any of these videos. I've read his two books Apilgrims Journey and they were great. I was just curious if they were worth the time and money. They are like 30 bucks a piece. Does anyone know of any other place I can get one other than Pioneer video. Thanks for the info. Andy

I have all of them except the one still currently in production. Got them all at Friendship from Jim. I'm not a re-enactor but they're all good videos. #4 is my favorite though.

I have them all too, except the one by John Curry which was lost somewhere in our last move. I think they are well worth the money. I'd like to get a copy on dvd as my vhs tapes are showing a bit of wear.

A friend has them, they are very good. I should also add I felt a little queasy when Mark did the section on braintanning.

Thanks for the info. I rented the first of the series. Looking forward to getting it and watching. If it's good I'll rent the rest. Andy.

All of the videos are good but Mark will tell ya himself that not all the info is up to date. He has found new info n ways of doing things since the videos were first made. They have been around quite awhile n I watch them from time to time. They are excellent to aid a new comer with tons of info and will answer many many questions you may have about a whole slew a subjects. From what I understand Mark may be working on an updated version of some of the info but I don't know for sure. whether buying or renting them they are worth it in my book. Just remember the info is for the Middle Ground (Tenn. Kentucky,etc) area n not for everywhere. Ya need to research what would have been done or used in the area yer personna would be living in ie; Pacific northwest, Great Lakes region, down south in the carolina's or Florida etc.

That House Clan sure make some mighty fine pieces. I would like to know how you like the videos they have.
Dusty

I have Hershel's first two Beginning Blacksmithing tapes. They are OK, and can help somebody starting out in blacksmithing. He does get some of the terminology a bit off, but overall they are pretty good. And they are not all "beginner" projects like an S hook. He also shows making a grease lamp, bullet lead ladle, even a backwoods knife.

My biggest problem watching them is wanting to tell him to hit differently when working on some projects. I keep thinking that I would do this at a certain point, and hit here, instead of the way he did. But I often do that when watching any other blacksmith. Each person developes their own ways/methods and hammering techniques.

I also have Willy Whites knife making video. Also a pretty good one. It does show him working through all the steps from forging the blade, through filing/fitting, through heat-treating and tempering, all the way to the final polish. It is a nice intro video. It also shows what you can do with fairly simple tools. He does use a bench grinder to take the forge scale off the outside of the blade, and to profile it. But most of the rest of the forming he does with hand files. And he uses a hand drill for the handle pin holes.

You might also want to check out the Colonial Williamsburg videos. They were filmed between 1969 and about 1973. Hammerman at Williamsburg (blacksmith), Gunsmith at Williamsburg (with Wallace Gussler), and Silversmith at Willaimsburg. Walter Cronkite narrated. Good overviews of each - and each shows all the steps in several projects.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

The video camera ... um ... sorta ... broke when they tried to film me ... sorta. Or was it that flying hammer?

No, I do not have any video of me "working" (involuntary shudder at the word). A few people at shows/demo's have filmed some stuff, but I've never seen any. Plus I only have a dial-up connection for this ancient "infernal machine", so I don't ... cruise ... youtube looking to see if anybody put videos of me up on it.

So I just crawl into my little iron hovel and tinker quietly away.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Latest posts

Back