• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Marmot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Marmot, Rock chuck, Ground Hog, what ever YOU call them. They're in season in Colorado & I have a .32 Crockett. :)

If I don't have to work Sat. I'm going up on the side of the Grand Mesa & see if I can get my limit (2).

The wife is coming but she want's to bring some new fangled breach loading thing :idunno: I'll just bet her she could never hit one with iron sights, that should get her shoot'n the Crockett.

In Colorado, not only is there a season on them but when I lived there they were classified as small game which requires you to eat them. I was all for this but quite a few people were upset.

I have always wanted to try marmot. I used to see them all the time in Colorado. I have yet to get into them around here. When I'm hiking peaks I see pika all the time but marmots elude me. Good luck! :thumbsup:

WOODCHUCKS! they are S.O.S (shoot on sight)
where I live.
miserable vermin.
couple years ago one got in my shed and dug a 6 x 3 foot hole before he met his end.

pab1 said:
In Colorado, not only is there a season on them but when I lived there they were classified as small game which requires you to eat them. I was all for this but quite a few people were upset.

I have always wanted to try marmot. I used to see them all the time in Colorado. I have yet to get into them around here. When I'm hiking peaks I see pika all the time but marmots elude me. Good luck! :thumbsup:

You're required to eat small game? I do, but at least here its not a requirement. Actually, here in NC there is no 'wanton waste' law, you could legally shoot a deer, tag and report it, and leave it lying in the woods. So its actually a legal requirement that you eat the game?

I have only hunted in Montana and Colorado but you are required to use the meat on both big and small game in both states. I understand the need to shoot animals causing property or livestock damage but I don't like to shoot anything I'm not going to eat.

Being a meat hunter, I don't shoot animals that I don't eat.

Although I've been accused of eating weird "stuff" and will always try something first before "condemning" it, there are limits as to what I'll eat. My limits are usually parts of animals that aren't normally utilized, except in sausages where they're hidden and then are acceptable....but, "you don't want to see the sausage making process".

In my younger days I shot a lot of woodchucks and one late afternoon, shot 3 and hauled them back to the barnyard, Immediately, approx. a dozen cats investigated the carcasses but were puzzled as to where they should start, so to lend them a helping hand, I partially skinned them out. They proceeded to have a peaceful feast for 2 days. Evidently word got out because there were unrecognized cats 'round the clock.

At the time I was 12 yrs old and actually felt a sigh of relief that my day's "catch" wasn't going to be wasted. This has always stuck w/ me through out my hunting life.

Woodchuck {marmot} has dark, purplish meat and it should taste good because their diet is solely plant life....I just have never eaten it.

I saw a program on TV where sandbagged tables were rented out close to prairie dog colonies and long range, super accurate 'scoped CFs were used to kill them. Every time a "hit" was made, laughter, backslapping and congratulations took place. It definitely is not my "kind of sport".

I've hunted since 7 yrs old and I admit in my "foolish" beginning yrs, I shot nearly every animal that was seen....but then after the "woodchuck" realization, I grew up.

So....although I'm not telling people what they should do, rationalization, allows people to do what they will....rightly or wrongly and if in fact,can these 2 words even be applied morally or otherwise to killing animals just for sport?.......Fred

Not to sound like something from Hee Haw but several people have told me groundhog makes good eating and the gravy is better than beef or lamb. If you eat one, tell about it.

I would occasionally kill one as a kid and my grand mother would cook em up. Very tasty. Not much different than squirrel.

Have also tried the marmots and they eat just fine. Lots of fat on both the chucks and the marmots. Some render it for shooting lube but have never tired that. I usually throw the fatty hide into the campfire and the fat burns for a loooong time.

pab1 said:
I have only hunted in Montana and Colorado but you are required to use the meat on both big and small game in both states.

I killed a bear in Montana in 1981 and at the time, they did not require you to utilize it at all. I tried to eat the backstraps while camping in Hell Roaring wilderness but they were too tough to chew. I left the meat there and took the hide back.

So, Sean, the question I must ask is why are you off to chase marmots on opening day of ML season! :shocked2:

marmotslayer said:
So, Sean, the question I must ask is why are you off to chase marmots on opening day of ML season! :shocked2:

because my *Ranching for wildlife* Either sex elk tag starts Nov. 29th :blah:

For those not from Colorado, Ranching for Wildlife is for Coloradoans only, I get to hunt on a private ranch 2 weeks after the last regular Elk season has ended. :grin:

It is not all cake though, the elk cross this ranch in units 3, 301 but it is wide open sage brush. Think rolling hills,antelope & knee high brush. Should be a challenge to get within 100 yards for my new .54 when you can see for miles & so can the Elk. :)

*photo is of guy I hunt with holding a rabbit he shot*, but this is what a lot of the ranch will look like. Suck that you are not allowed to scout before hand :( I know the units, but have never been on Bord Gulch Ranch it's self.

The guy in the photo (Bill) just texted me, shot his Muzzleloader elk 5x6 at 80 yards about 6:45 this PM. He shoots inline so I can't post the photo. But I'll keep working on him.

Back