• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mary Rose-style Snapping Matchlock Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in the middle of paring down my collection to mainly the Jacobite Rebellion period. I really got interested in the Mary Rose when the two-volume "Armaments of the Mary Rose" was published some years ago. Having the bug, I had a replica of the Mary Rose proto-baskethilt made and a nice ballock dagger with two picks a-la the Wallace collection. I also had this musket made up. The matchlock is very interesting as it is a snapping matchlock mechanism. This means it cocks and holds in the cocked position until the trigger is pulled. The cock is positioned just as a later French lock, i.e. lock swings from the left to the right over the pan rather than in the normal matchlock manner. The parts for this piece are from TRS and was probably the last gun built by the late John Bosh before his untimely death several years ago. It has not been fired but only displayed gently. This is a very rare and interesting piece. I am selling at actual cost (TRS parts plus building). You can contact me here or at [email protected] for more information.

Attachments

• IMG_0425.JPG
    IMG_0425.JPG
    113.5 KB
  • IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    133.3 KB
  • IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    103.6 KB
  • IMG_0428.JPG
    IMG_0428.JPG
    127.9 KB
Hello, all! Made an inadvertent error is mentioning this item was for sale and placed it on the wrong forum and was gently chided by a moderator. My apologies to all. After I serve my two week apprenticeship, I be posting in the right place.

Glenn,

If you are still half interested in the snap matchlocks, here is one I made a while ago.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/snapping-matchlock.109391/

I know you have moved on somewhat, but this onemay be of interest as it appears to come from the same Itralian workshop as the Mary Rose pieces, but from a little earlier period. The one in my thread is from about 1525. The similarities between the original I copied and the Mary rose snapping tinder-locks is quite close, with very similar serpents, stock shaping, but this earlier piece is shorter and stock not quite as modern, plus V similar trigger-guard and trigger with acorn finial.
Again, not trying to divert your thread away from your desired result to part with your gun, just thought you may find the similarities interesting.

I will send a PM with my old mates Email to you.
Best regards,
Richard.

Back