• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Masonic Scrimshaw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vairochana

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Gday,
I was wanting to decorate my powder horn with a bit of scrimshaw in a masonic theme: Lights, tools etc.
I was wondering if anyone had some pics of horns decorated in a similar fashion. I did a search and found that the information is out there but I couldn't find the photos. I want to try to imitate the style of the day.

Cheers

V

Iv seen 'a few' originals with the masonic 'emblem' carved on them. I dont know enought about masons to know if there are other symbols used on originial horns??? But, yes I have seen the main masonic emblem on 18th cent horns.

Here's one I had a go at this afternoon.
"inked" it with BP residue.
powderhorn001.jpg

If you have a magnifying glass, you can't go to far wrong simply copying those found on the back of a dollar bill.( U.S. Currency) The engravers at the Mint have been doing these for more than 100 years.

Looks good. BP residue is much more natural than India Ink. More of a 'flat black.' I would guess (no docum) that the same method of coloring in lines is as ancient as powderhorn carvings themselve.

Heh Vairochana:
Why don't you look to the lodge for ideas. there's enough symbols in there to keep you scrimming for years. Have you started the chairs yet? if so, you could you could apply the jewels of each of your stations as you ascend toward the East. They're esoteric, and won't be recognized, generally, by anyone other than brother Masons. I've always Been partial to the PM's Jewel, and am thinking of having it carved on my rifle.
BTW, that piece you inked in is nicely done, :thumbsup:

Thanks guys,
I am currently JW in my Craft Lodge, I am also in Royal Arch (just did Royal Ark Mariner last week).
I had thought about doing what Skagan suggests, just don't want to clutter the horn, I like things simple.
I will post any additions tho :)

Here we go- did some more-this is my first attempt at scrimshaw- I hope to improve with practice
powderhorn001.jpg
powderhorn008.jpg
powderhorn012.jpg

To help,aid and assist you, let me suggest the following for your study and consideration:

First, quickly do a search and find Mel Hankla's website which has a section entitled "The Folky Artist". He will show pictures of horns by a F&I-RevWar Horner (that we have yet to identify) who created powderhorns with a wealth of Masonic Symbolism on every one of the 39 horns that have to date been located. Excellent illustrations on these.

Several books,IF you can locate them.
1."Bespangled Painted & Embroided.
2.Masonic Symbols In American Decorative Arts
Both of these are published by the Scottish Rite Masonic Museum Of Our National Heritage,Lexington,Mass. Sorry, but I don't have the address or phone number.
3.Symbols Of Freemasonry,ISBN 0 76074 2359,published by Barnes & Noble,so it should be readily available.

All of the above address the 1750-1830 time period. The "Folky Artist" horns have a good representative sample of symbolism that a
Scottish Rite Mason will easily recognize.(And also an observant,questioning Third Degree :winking: ).

IMO symbolism should be quiet and suttle,and not necessarily stand out as the only thing to see. Work it into other scrimshaw things that you create.You want to remind yourself-in a quiet sort of way-of the principals of Freemasonry without necessarily advertizing. And remember....what you create today may very well be observed and studied hundreds of years into the future! You can't imigine the total thrill you'll get from examining something like a powderhorn and seeing something that catches your attention and makes you take a closer look and suddenly see and understand that the maker/owner is speaking to YOU from the distant past :bow:. Just my thoughts :hmm:.

Gday, I had a look at 'the Folky Artist" before I started but it seems that he has taken those pics off (or i just couldn't find them).
I also did a search and found a small sample, some discrete as you suggest, others blatant as is mine.[url] http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masonicmuseum/whales tooth scrimshaw c1840.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the square and compass, the all-seeing eye, and the columns...I also used the "hand of O'Neil/Lamont crest" and a thistle...was really just doodling...Hank

NO...I seem to screw up pretty thoroughly whenever I try and use photo bucket...I will give it a try and tell you if it works..Hank

I've posted three on photobucket..Hank_04, the sub album is "my horn"...I don't know if that is enough info to get it up or not..if no, tell me and I'll play around some more..Hank

Brother Hank,
That looks great! I hope to be able to do as you have done and to the same level of quality someday.
As Brother Der Forster said I like the idea of maken them look for it inside the body of work

Craig
Riverside #503

Vairochana,
If it were me I would run this by your GM and not here. But that is me.
snake-eyes :hmm:

I agree- there is nothing being revealed which shouldn't be, and less on mine than some of the older "genuine" works

Latest posts

Back