• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maxi-ball mould

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanstg

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know where can I get maxi-ball moulds? I tried some maxi-balls last weekend for the first time and they shot great. Thought I would cast them.
Thanks,
vanstg

Vanstg,.... Lyman lists both, Maxi and Minie, moulds!! Lee lists, Minie and R.E.A.L., molds!!

Hey!!.... I jest noticed sumpthin,... WHY!!.. does Lyman spell it "M-O-U-L-D", and Lee spells it "M-O-L-D"??

RB,
I wouldn't put too much stock in Lyman's command of the english language. I have an old Lyman ingot mold (before they started putting wooden handles on them) and it's got the "N" cast backwards in "Lyman". Seriously, Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary defines "mould" as a variation of "mold" so either is acceptable. Sounds to me, though that it might be an English term, sort of like "sabre" versus "saber".

Thanks!
All I've been casting is round balls. But might give maxis a try. My rifle really liked them.

vanstg

"Hey!!.... I jest noticed sumpthin,... WHY!!.. does Lyman spell it "M-O-U-L-D", and Lee spells it "M-O-L-D"??"

Lyman can afford the extra ink for the U cause their moulds they cost more. By leaving out the U, Lee can charge only $20 for their MOLD. ::

If your looking for a big conical, you might also want to look at the Lyman Great Plains instead of the Maxi-ball. the Great Plains has a .508 diameter VS .504 diameter found on the Maxi-Ball. That means you will engage the rifling better which normally means better spin. You might want to buy some Great Plains and try them first. They shoot great out of my 1:48 twists.

Also the minnies are not something you want if your looking for accuracy. I have all the minnie molds. They are a lot fo fun to shoot, throwing that much lead down range, but they seem to suffer in accuracy out of my rifles.

MidwayUSA sell the molds the cheapest...

Latest posts

Back