• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mec 12 Ga Steel Shot Wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrhills

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Navy Arms Pedersoli 12 gauge double-barreled muzzleloader (vintage early 1970s) that has been in storage for about 30 years. In resurrecting it I find two bags of 12 gauge green plastic "wads" - the same kind that go inside a modern shotgun shell. I found them to be a really tight fit in the barrel and decided against trying them, fearing I'd get one stuck in the barrel. Is this type of wad a bad idea in this gun?

I am currently using precut 12 gauge round white cardboard circles - which seem to work just fine. Comments appreciated.

If those modern shotgun wads are a "Tight fit", either your barrels are choked, or its likely closer to a 13 ga. rather than 12 ga. bore. Modern shotgun shells use 13 gauge plastic wads in them, because of the added thickness of the plastic walls of the shell.

I would not use plastic wads in any gun using Black Powder as a propellant. You rub off plastic against the sides of the bore, causing more tight spots, where both more plastic, and soot gather, to make seating successive loads more and more difficult. It then requires modern gun solvents to remove the plastic, where soap and water will remove just the soot.

Unless your shotgun is marked "Safe to use Steel Shot", do NOT USE STEEL SHOT IN THE GUN! The steel used is not metallurgically designed to withstand the hard abrasion of steel shot! Even using the correct shot cups/wads, you risk damaging the barrels.

Use Black Powder muzzleloading shotguns with black powder, at black powder velocities, and hunt closer, or learn to wait for birds to come closer to you before you shoot. There are now much better non-toxic shot types available to use in BP guns, than steel shot ever was, or can be. Look for bismuth, polymer-iron, and the newest XTL shot sold by Ballistics Products, which has a atomic weight very close to that of lead, and is soft enough to be used in older steel barrels. It apparently also patterns like lead shot, and transfers energy to the birds like lead does. The few members on this forum who have tried it speak highly of the product.

Paul, don't forget "Nice Shot" - tungsten/iron powder in a tin matrix, then tin-coated. A fair number of folks are quite happy with it, either bare or with minimal (paper or cloth) protection.

By the way, it's not atomic weight of the material that you're thinking of, it's the density or specific gravity (density compared to water). Elements have atomic weight, composite materials don't, and even in elements, atomic weight is not the only factor in density.

Regards,
Joel

Many thanks for the advice. Right now I am thinking about using this gun for turkey hunting this Spring. I am wondering if there is an internet site that would sell me a small supply of #4 and #6 lead shot.

Thanks again.

www.precisionreloading.com has nickel and copper plated shot in 10lb bags, but it is nearly the price of 25 lb bags of hard lead shot.

I would get the 25 lb bag. You will use up more than you think working up an optimum load.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back