• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Melting Lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paco97

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay, so now that I have my Flintlock on order, I will also buy a round ball mold to make my own balls. What is the best method for melting lead.

Heat!

The BEST method is with an electric furnace with thermostat and bottom pour spout (IMHO). I further improve on this by pre-melting my cruddy scrap lead and making ingots on a Coleman with an iron plumbers pot for casting ingots to use in the electric furnace.

Paco97 I use a cast iron ladle on propane hot plate,have a lead pot(electric) but don't use it.I do mine out side in a open shed.Once I get the ladle going and molds warm I can run the balls. Have 32up to 54,rb&max-balls.I always shot in block of wood to get lead back. I told grandson I have enought lead to retire Me,maybe him. Little bit lead,little powder, shots far kills dead. Dilly

I'm using an electric melting pot with a ladle for pouring. It's OK for round balls, but if you're going to be pouring conicals, I'd go with the one with the built-in pouring apparatus.

I'm just getting into "ROUNDBALL" pouring. I have casted thousands of Rifle and pistol lead bullets. I like a ladle pour better. More control for Me.

jcdflint said:
I'm just getting into "ROUNDBALL" pouring. I have casted thousands of Rifle and pistol lead bullets. I like a ladle pour better. More control for Me.

I agree. I have an electric pot with a bottom spout but I still prefer to use a ladle.

I have to agree with Stumpkiller. An electric pot with a bottom pour spout is the most convenient method I have used.

I agree, I like the electric pot with bottom pour for up to 50 cal RB. For Maxi and Minnies and over 50 cal. I like a 20# cast iron pot and a large ladle so as to be able to pour large amounts of lead quickly. I also like to work outside with a light breeze to keep the fumes at bay. Also drop your bullets on a folded towel as they come out of your mold, don't want to knock them out of shape by falling on the floor.
Fox :thumbsup:

Since everyone has covered the melting part, I'll say either wait until you get the new weapon and buy a couple of different sizes of balls and test shoot until you find the size that shoots the best. That's the size of the mould you should get. Also I'd recomend a steel modern mould rather than an aluminum mould. And just for giggles and grins get a bag mould (PC) from Rapine or similar for field casting. You might also want to get a copper or steel primitive ladle for field casting as well.

Bottom pour electric pot is the way to go. Lee Production Pot is the least expensive I have found, and I have been using mine for years with no problems.

I just heat mine with a gas grill (not used for cooking)...melt lead in a tin can and pour with a ladle into a Rapine bag mold.

Back