• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Merit Optical sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Tuftee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Has anyone ever used this merit optical
attachment, it's suppose to help clear up the haze between the front and rear sights.
It attaches to your glasses by suction cup would
like to use it both on target,and hunting whitetail deer in Iowa
any options good or bad.
thanks
Randy

I have used the merit sight when I was shooting pistols. Its a great idea for target shooting but for hunting I would say NO. For the shooting I was doing, the targets were 50M,100M,150M,and 200 Meters. It seemed that at every station I would have to adjust it some. I think a peep sight would be far better. IMO

I purchased one last year and it does help me to see the sights better on my longrifles. While I have not worn it hunting, I see no reason why you couldn't. At least while you were on stand. I mount it on the lower inside corner of my lense and it doesn't give me any problems during a woods walk.

They can really improve your pistol scores. You can regulate the amount of light you want. This is not possible with the hole in the tape an other home made sights.
The only problem with the Merit is many BP Clubs will not allow them in matches. Too bad. :cursing:

Randy:

Great for target, not so good for hunting unless you are on a stand with minimal movement.

Here's a tip: Be sure you tie the device to your glasses with something like monofilament fishing line - DON'T trust the suction cup to keep a good hold. I've been a part of several hands-and-knees search crawls at various N-SSA shoots, trying to help friends and teammates find their fallen Merits. Most we found, some we didn't. And at $60 or so a crack for the device, a penny's worth of monofilament is a cheap safety belt indeed!

pappa bear said:
Randy:

Great for target, not so good for hunting unless you are on a stand with minimal movement.

Here's a tip: Be sure you tie the device to your glasses with something like monofilament fishing line - DON'T trust the suction cup to keep a good hold. I've been a part of several hands-and-knees search crawls at various N-SSA shoots, trying to help friends and teammates find their fallen Merits. Most we found, some we didn't. And at $60 or so a crack for the device, a penny's worth of monofilament is a cheap safety belt indeed!

I use mine for hunting. Like a peep, it's not the best in dim light, but with bifocals it's the best compromise. Here's what I did with mine.

I bought a pair of oversize plastic saftey goggles, the kind that will fit over your regular glasses.They're the type that have a frame onlt alon the top. I cut out most of the lenses so that all that remained was the bridge and the frame.
That way I don't have to contend with looking thru or cleaning a second pair of glasses.
On the part remaining with the bridge, I glued and wired the suction cup, locating it so it will pivot down to the right spot. I put in a small set screw to use as a stop so the eyepiece comes to the right position every time I need it. When I don't, it swings out of the way. I don't see the eyepiece or the suction cup.

Duane

Mixed emotions.

At one shoot I thougth it was the best thing ever.

At the next shoot, I am not sure that I had it on my glasses exactly as needed.

I kept moving my head to see through the optic, to align the sights. My scores were lower in this match. It was a major distraction.

In all fairness, I need to use it some more to be fair.

It is meant for paper work, not hunting.

You can see what ever optic help at a paper match you ever thought of.

RDE

Yup, I've got the Merit too and like it.

Funny... But the older I get, the better it seems to work! :thumbsup:

Just a tip though, to "test the theory" out for your eyes, get the Lyman non-adjustable version (is it called "Hawkeye"?) for about $15 or so, to see how that works for you. I got one too -- just so I can loan that out and keep using my Merit for me.

Great tip on the "Merit Keeper" idea -- someone deserves a Merit Badge for that! :hatsoff:

Old No7

Latest posts

Back