• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Merriams vs. Easterns ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
For those that have hunted both Merriams and Easterns, is one easier to fool than the other?

I have heard that one is easier to call (hunt) than the other, hence the question.

Thanks for your experiences, Skychief. :thumbsup:

I have limited experience with both. In fact, I've never killed any wild turkey. :haha:

But, I have chased both enough to know of some differences in behaviour. The biggest diff between merriams and eastern is their daily habits.

With Merriams there is no such thing as the regualrly used roost tree. They might use one for a couple nights in a row and may use others every couple of weeks, but that's as far as it goes. One reason for the irregular use of roost trees is their irregular daily habits. Merriams tend to travel long distances during the course of a day. They might fly down, travel a couple miles down mountain and then go up a whole different mountain or valley in the evening. The exception is the hens once they start to sit on their nests, but we don't hunt them in the spring.

Rio Grandes behave more like Easterns than Merriams.

Best analogy I can think of is that hunting Merriams is to hunting Easterns as hunting elk is to hunting whitetails.

This is a great timely topic. I'm hoping that some of our widely traveled hunters will chime in with their experiences. :thumbsup:

I have only hunted Easterns. I know enough to tell you they are smart!! I hunt mostly in the spring. Early in the season they are with the hens so in my experience get them right at flydown or wait and hunt them midday when they are seperated from the hens. later in the season the hens are breed and the toms are easier to work. They are out looking for hens to breed. I would love to chase the other types. This is just my experience by no means am I a expert.

I have hunted Merriams, but not Easterns, but I did run into the Easterns a couple of times while deer hunting in Georgia. In my limited contact with the Easterns, I noticed they don't seem near as "skiddish" as the Merriams.

For example, we saw one in the middle of a road (young jake), but he took off as we approached. When we got to the same spot, he was still there, just off in the woods about 20 feet. If that had been a Merriams, he would have covered 200 yards by then. Another time a flock landed near by and started walking all around us. We whispered, moved, sat up higher to see them, and finally stood up to get a better view. They did finally trot off, but again, if they had been Merriams, the first whisper or movement from us would have sent them fleeing at around 60 mph.

One thing that really got my attention was the size difference between the two species. I may be wrong, but Merriams seem to be much larger than the Easterns, like twice as big. Maybe it's all feathers :rotf: .

Since my experience with Eastern turkeys is very limited, I might not have a good grasp on their nature and size. Looking forward to next year and my second deer hunting trip to Georgia, and hoping to study more turkeys :thumbsup: . Bill

I have killed four Merriams, and no easterns. I have called them in to short ranges, one tom I got came in to about 10 yards, I was hiding behind a cedar. He stepped around that cedar and double gobbled, saw me and took off. I gave him a load of #4 copper plated, from the hip. One bb caught him in the neck.
I have not had any trouble getting close to them. I think they are mnore cautious where they are hunted more. I just happened into a flock that was not hunted at all.

You going after them this year, Mike?

Just been weighing my options and can't decide. Don't have a bp smoothbore and thought maybe the bow, but my shoulder is so bad lately I can't draw forty pounder more than five inches :(

Wouldn't I like to know! I have killed prob 40+ easterns and a few Rios, but never got to hunt Meriams.

I think the answer is really HOW MUCH PRESSURE do the birds get where you will be hunting, that is the big thing. I have seen easterns dang near impossible to kill due to the pressure and have had others come running right in.

Good luck
Wess

Mike, I'm sorry for the belated answer. Yes, I'm probably going to go, may start scouting soon. I used to have a place to go, the Staley's, but they sold their property. The ground around it is nasty steep, but it will be good to see how my hip is doing. I'll contact you, maybe we can get together to scout. Or hunt. :idunno:

Mike, I'm upf or some of that! You would be stuck with a hunting partner shooting either a bow or mod shot gun since I don't have a smoothy.

My left shoulder is killing me and I can't draw a bow more than five inches. Can do much better drawing as a lefty and may put together a lefty bow to hunt and practice with. Might end up a lefty bow shot for life if this thing does not improve! :(

Well, I'm hunting turkeys with a 12 ga., so we'll be in the same boat. I may go up and look around soon. Do I have your phone #?
I'm sorry about your shoulder. Rotator cuff? I had a friend that fell in a rock slide hunting goats and can't shoot his bow anymore.
I'll keep you posted.

Back