• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Messed with some light (squirrel) .45 loads...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Found some time today to shoot my little Seneca 45 today.

Since squirrel season arrives in 6 months, I figured it was high time to find a good load for them. :haha: (Yep, just wanted to justify sneaking out and monkeying around with the rifle today) :thumbsup:

The cliff notes version: After messing with several charge/ball/patch combinations, I found a real light load that shoots incredibly accurate out of the little rifle.

Said load shot 3/8" groups of 3 shots at 25 yards, hitting point of aim from 25-40 yards. At 60 yards, the balls strike a couple inches lower.

25 grains 2f Goex
.440 ball
Red/White ticking (.017 when compressed in my calipers)
Vegetable shortening (all organic) :wink:

By the way, the vegetable shortening is all I had on hand for patch lube. I have to say that it served the purpose very well. I didn't clean between any shots nor strings of shots. Every ball loaded like the one before it, and cleanup went real well.

I remember using it years ago after my Bore Butter stage (most of us started like this, remember). After today's session, I may have to search for a reason to NOT continue its use. :idunno:

In any case, I wrote down notes of the load in case I take the rifle to the squirrel woods this Fall. If I can see the sights in the shady, August hardwoods, I'm bringing home some squirrels. :thumbsup:

Felt GREAT to get some shooting in and wanted to report.

Best regards, Skychief

Thanks for the great report. With a 45 of my own arriving this spring, I'm taking notes, too.

Interesting to me that you used 2f. I've been using 3f for light loads in all my larger calibers and had kinda figured on that for the 45, too. I'll sure be underlining 2f in my notes!

Thanks.

Picked up a 45 a few years ago that I used to small game hunt this year, quickly fell in love with it. That's a caliber that can do alot things right there.

Look forward to your stories this fall guys.

Heck, squirrel ended a few weeks ago, I better start getting ready for next year!

Great work there chief.

My 45 smooth rifle is handy with 20 grn of what is labeled fine black powder, looks like 4f to me.

I have to raise the blade in the sight some though.
Nice and quiet too.

B. :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
The .45 is my favorite bore size and I've owned more .45s than any other caliber. I've killed so many deer with .45s that any doubt about the efficacy of the caliber has since been put to rest a long, long time ago. I consider it to be the "30/30" of the muzzleloading world.

But when it comes to squirrel size critters, I go to a smaller ball. While the .45 can be made to work on small game - I once killed a fox squirrel with a .58 prb which left only tiny entrance and exit holes in the neck - I just find it so much easier to use true squirrel calibers.

azmntman said:
:nono: Now who would ever shoot "alvin" the chipmunk? :shake:

:rotf:
It makes a great practice target...You start with the squirrel targets, .....once those are mastered you move on to the chipmunk target....When that is no longer a challenge you spread some fresh manure on the target and shoot whatever lands.... :haha:

Back