• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Military Heritage Baker Rifle Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traveller491

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been thinking about getting one of the Military Heritage Baker Rifles and was wondering if anyone has had the smoothbore barrel replaced with a rifled one (by the person that they advertise about)?

I'm a little put off by the fact that they are so secretive about the barrel manufacturer. I would like to talk to that person (to find out if they do decent work or not) before I spend the money on the gun!

Doesn't seem like very good business to me especially given the questionable quality and customer service reviews that I have seen posted here.

Thanks!

Brian

Try Middlesex Village Traders. They get better reviews than Military Heritage and i am pretty sure they carre the Baker now.

I got my Baker from MTV and had a new barrel put on it by W.Ryle Inc in West Virginia 304-364-8269 I had to wait several months but it was worth the wait. He sent the rifle back with a target that he shot with the rifle.
I love the rifle it fits me very well and is a great shooter. Good luck in your quest.

misc113.jpg

This is mine from MH. I got a 1:120 barrel put on by Ed Rayl (their secret barrel guy) the rifle shoots historically... Which isn't all that great by the standards of the flintlock rifles usually disscussed here. The lock isn't great either but it is shootable. Lately I've been shooting a 90 grain FFg charge with a fibre wad and a .610 ball in a .014 patch of flanelette. If I were to do it all over again I would have tried MVT or a kit from the Rifle Shoppe...This is my shooting kit...
misc446.jpg

Rob

Gday,
does anyone actually make a Baker RIFLE?
I mean what is the point of paying all that cash,cos none are cheap, for a Baker MUSKET and thehave to pay for a proper barrel?
Why can't these Historical rifle replica makers make a RIFLE?!?
sorry to rant that has been bugging ne for a while :redface:

I sent you an email. I have reworked an "Indian" Baker as has Chuckpa ( we both have Ed. Rayl's GREAT Bbl.ls

Puffer

I've often thought that if a big manufacturer started producing copies of the Baker and the other flintlock mlitary rifles it would do a lot for the sport...

Rugged, simple to take apart and repair, big lock (hopefully with big sparks) - it would make a better beginners rifle than most...

Although when the Italians came out with their 1803 Harpers ferry replica they made a real balls up of it...

Here ya go.... Scroll down and you'll find it.
[url] http://www.therifleshoppe.com/complete_parts_sets.htm[/url]

It is a complete parts set, you or someone else will have to complete it, it is NOT a snap together kit, it takes someone with experience. They can also assemble it but the waite is a consideration. There will be many that will make negative comments about parts availability from TRS but you get the best, most accurate parts money can buy. Best to call them to see if the parts are in stock, if so you are good to go, they have several kits available and they are good about having those parts sets in inventory.

Last edited by a moderator:
TOW has a Baker for sale right now, new. They also list a replacement barrel for it.

The only one I know of makeing Baker Rifles is Jess Melot @ The Rifle Shoppe (TRS). He made mine and barreled it with a 1:66. Had I known more when I got it I might well have had it rifled to 1:120 but, few ever question the rifleing except those of use that shoot Bakers and it holds it own among some pretty good shooters around here.

I'd recommend
Loyalist Arms

over

Middlesex Village

The price is a bit more but I think you'll get better quality.

Either is cheaper than TRS and faster than Military Heritage.

JMHO

Loc: SE Qld (need rain)
Offline 01/26/07 11:01 PM - Post#363919
In response to Rob Deans

Gday,
does anyone actually make a Baker RIFLE?
I mean what is the point of paying all that cash,cos none are cheap, for a Baker MUSKET and thehave to pay for a proper barrel?
Why can't these Historical rifle replica makers make a RIFLE?!?
sorry to rant that has been bugging ne for a while

It is illegal to produce a rifled barrel in India where these guns are made. I believe this law is a remnant from the British colonial days.

Rob
Thanks for sharing the pictures and your experience. The rifle looks great and I like your leather work.

Bub said:
TOW has a Baker for sale right now, new. They also list a replacement barrel for it.

The TOW Baker is an Indian Repo. The $$$ is GOOD. CALL TOW for info on "quality", also ask for pics of inter of lock & interior "letting. Also ask for the "importer"

You will also need to "hone" the lock & reposition &/OR remake the trigger.

The BEST"rifled Bbl. is from Ed Rayl ( about $250.00" ) IMHO
For more info Email me

[email protected] Or email Chickpa.WE"VE BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. !!
Puffer

Rob Deans said:
misc113.jpg

This is mine from MH. I got a 1:120 barrel put on by Ed Rayl (their secret barrel guy) the rifle shoots historically... Which isn't all that great by the standards of the flintlock rifles usually disscussed here. The lock isn't great either but it is shootable. Lately I've been shooting a 90 grain FFg charge with a fibre wad and a .610 ball in a .014 patch of flanelette. If I were to do it all over again I would have tried MVT or a kit from the Rifle Shoppe...This is my shooting kit...
misc446.jpg

Rob

GREAT looking Rig :hatsoff:

The 1:20 is "HC" I opted for Accurcy ( 1:72 ) but my next one will be 1:120 :thumbsup:

Try "honing" & repositioning & 'OR remaking the triger.

If you have ?? email me [email protected]

Puffer

If your willing to come to Australia Green River Rifle Works will build you one.
[url] http://homepages.picknowl.com[/url].au/vaisham/default.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to change the subject but I thought they took away all the guns down under...Forgive my ignorence :confused: ..Mark

About 10 years ago they took all our semi-auto longarms off us (can get special license for commercial shooters).
A couple of years ago they introduced a bunch of restrictions on handguns which for me shooting IPSC restricts to calibre no greater than .38 super and 10 rnd mag limit, there are also barrel length restrictions barrels shorter than 100mm for revolver and 120mm for semi-auto are illegal.
Calibre restrictions are not as strict for some disciplines such as metallic silhouette and western action.

Latest posts

Back