• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mini vs round ball in brush

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squitoeast

32 Cal.
Reaction score
does a roudn ball have a better chance of not flying off than a mini if u are hunting and hit a twig , anyone ,

I wouldn't bet on either, and wouldn't take the shot if I had any doubt. And I only shoot roundball.

I agree with the goose... when in doubt, pass the shot.

just one guy's opinion, and easy to say sitting in my chair in front of my computer screen ... when that Boone & Crockett walks by, on the other hand ...

From tests I've studied and my own experiments, one thing comes through: The closer the obstruction to you, the wider the ball/bullet is going to veer; and conversely, the closer it is to the target, the less it's going to veer. After that it's getting down to voodoo on what's likely to happen. I've seen long bullets, short bullet and round balls veer like crazy- enough to miss a deer completely when striking an obstruction only 10' from it- depending, I suspect, on the angle they hit the obstruction and how much of it they hit.

Rattle it all in a can and spill it in the dirt, and my view lines up nicely with the others who have responded so far: Don't hit the brush, and pass up the shot if there's a chance of doing so.

With a round ball being the most compact shape with the lightest weight for any given size, it will be the easiest to deflect from its intended path by some sort of twig.
The larger the ball size, the greater the mass so the less a twig will deflect it.

That said, any ball or bullet will deflect when it hits anything in its path including heavy bullets.

IMO, there is no such thing as a "brush buster" that can plow thru twigs and branches without being deflected.

I agree with the others. IF there are twigs/branches in the way don't take the shot.

I was shootin my 54 last week and clipped the top strand of the eletrick fence and it caused the shot to go 7 inches high and way left .I was usin a rest and the rifle is accurate so I think its too risky no matter how big the game is .They deserve better than that .imho.Curt

thank you all i missed a deer at 40yds and thought i had a clear path. seems i was wrong, next year ill cut some shooting lanes b4 season like an archer

I think the additional weight of the conical would give it an advantage with brush impact, but maybe not enough to demonstrate.

I've hunted many years 12 and 20 gauge rifled slugs and also patched rounds balls and a few years with lead conicals (T/C Maxi Hunters and Maxi-Balls). All suffer if a twig is in the way. But sometimes not.` That's the problem - a twig or brush introduces a random variable.

I doubt that neither is going to be much better than the other. In my hunting area branches and twigs are going to get in the way no matter how much I try to see them all.

I have read that a longer, higher SD and BC bullet at a fastest twist works the best but it's still rolling the dice. If I had a high chance of contacting brush close to my target I think a heavier projectile whether ball or bullet would perform about the same with a slight edge to the conical if the twist were faster.

No single projectile of any cal. should be considered a brush buster however :eek:ff a 200 link belt of .762 is a brush buster :)

thank you, i`m in pa too its not too often after archery opens that deer stand in the open b4 dark

A big part of hunting is waiting for that clear shot. If in doubt, don't shoot.
I read a test done on modern rifles. The old myth is that big, slow moving bullets 'bust brush' better than fast, small ones was busted. High vel .270 and similar, deflected less than 30-30, 45-70, etc.
Play the game the way Red Faris meant it to be, use a prb.

I can't really say if a mini will deflect more or less than a round ball but I will say one thing and that is never shoot into brush at a sound. Never shoot at any animal until you have a clear unobstructed shot. You owe a quick clean kill to the animal that you are hunting but more importantly, you owe your fellow hunters the safe consideration to never shoot at just a sound in the brush. It just may be your hunting buddy coming your way. How would you like to live the rest of your life knowing that you had killed your buddy or a fellow hunter? Wait for the clear unobstructed shot and the question of which projectile will be less deflected will remain moot.

I'm not saying that you are the kind of careless hunter who would do something like that but since you asked the question, it just gave me the opportunity to reiterate a hunting safety issue. You can never over emphasize hunting and gun safety issues. :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

I don't remember which gun writer but at least one of them did test. Not on BP projectiles but large vs. small calibers and heavier grain weight and the test had shown that id didn't matter. Big or small they still deflected enough to miss your target.

Yes, and I agree with Rifleman, too. Tests have shown no advantage on average between the .458 Win Mag and a .223. If a slug or ball hits a twig it will spin off into the netherworld. It the shot hits dead on center of a twig it has a chance of hitting the target but only a chance. Pass up questionable shots.

thanks 4 the info, i thought mayb the skirt of the mini would deform quicker than a round ball, i know all the safety aspects thank you very much just was interested if anyone had info on that

Latest posts

Back