• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Minuteman Concord "Shots Heard Round The World"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
An article in NY Times of 8/11/24 shows several musket balls/shot found by the Park Service near Concord Bridge. Also they found two rows of flints about 30 feet apart, as though two lines of men drawn up in formation were told to freshen flints, and the discarded ones were as dropped. As one man said, the time "interval evaporates when you stand there; it just disappears". Even the NY Times has something of interest now and again!

I do have to question how they found the "two rows of flints"?? If the earth has been plowed and weathered for 250 years! Can't find them with a metal detector! The article was under a single person's by-line, so who knows what info she had been given. And I'd think if the colonials were going out to do a possible engagement, they'd have tended to their flints first thing that day. Not like they'd already been in battle and had to re-freshen. The gov't. did do a fine-tooth combing of the Custer Battlefield, so who knows? And I wonder what access people had before it became a Park Service property over the centuries?

I do have to question how they found the "two rows of flints"?? If the earth has been plowed and weathered for 250 years! Can't find them with a metal detector! The article was under a single person's by-line, so who knows what info she had been given. And I'd think if the colonials were going out to do a possible engagement, they'd have tended to their flints first thing that day. Not like they'd already been in battle and had to re-freshen. The gov't. did do a fine-tooth combing of the Custer Battlefield, so who knows? And I wonder what access people had before it became a Park Service property over the centuries?
I can't even find flints in my bag so it would be interesting to know how they were discovered.

Back