• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

missed?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went squirrel hunting this morning for about a ½ hour, took my 12 gauge.
Rather than fiddle with shot and everything I just grabbed a paper cartridge (loaded with shot) I had laying around. Well I pulled up on a squirrel about 15 yards away and pulled the trigger. When the smoke cleared there was nothing. I looked and looked but found nothing. No squirrel, no blood, no pellet marks on the log he was sitting on ”¦.nothing. :idunno:
I think maybe I missed! :hmm:
or at least forgot what I loaded that cartridge with. :doh:

I made some wrapped paper shot capsules out of brown grocery bag paper and sealed the seams with my beeswax/lard lube. I shot at a dove on a fence post and almost cut the post in half. The paper didn't tear or open at all and acted like a slug. The dove flew off untouched.
Maybe something similar happened to you.

I think I need to "China-ize" my construction materials. Maybe newspaper and spit will work better ??? :idunno:

I did something similar once sent a cartridge through a 1/2 inch of OSB and burried it into a pine 2x4 and that was after it traveled 25 yards.

Iv'e got my cartridge construction down but this was a cartridge I found while cleaning my bench.
I thought it had shot in it but who knows.
at leat it went off without a hitch.

I always tear open the front of my paper catridge, and use an over shot card. Keeps the whole mess from exiting the barrel like a dog turd! :rotf:

Obviously, I haven't learned to do that yet. :haha:

I thought the pellets would blast through the paper but found that idea to be totally wrong.

I had a squil about 15ft barking at me one day while I was Deer hunting with my Lyman GPR .54
Took a shot couldn't find anything I expected to at least find a GOEX FFFg blackened squil.

Back