• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Missing Fly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoyt

45 Cal.
Reaction score
How important is this little thing..it's gone and I paid special attention not to loose it. I can't tell the difference without it...large siler lock. Spring gobbler season comes in the middle of next month..anyone know where I might get one before then..or do I really need one? Thanks for all help.

The fly serves to keep the sear from catching the half-cock notch when using set triggers. There is a chance it will hang up when fired if the fly is missing. Dixie Gunworks carries them and should be able to get one to you in a couple of days.

How important is this little thing..it's gone and I paid special attention not to loose it. I can't tell the difference without it...large siler lock. Spring gobbler season comes in the middle of next month..anyone know where I might get one before then..or do I really need one? Thanks for all help.

The reason for the fly is a late improvement to a lock.
It is a part of the tumbler designed to prevent the sear from engageing the half-cocked notch when fireing.
I would replece it.
Give Jim Chambers a call 828/667-8361
and he will send one out to you.

Woody

When you cock the gun and pull the trigger, the fly keeps the sear from engaging the half-cock notch as it springs down on the percussion cap/frizzen...

Without the fly, the sear could engage this notch and break the tip of the sear off and the half-cock notch in the tumbler...

Not all locks are equipped with a fly...

That's great! I would still replace it if it hadn't been found. No reason to take a chance on messing up the lock ;)

the fly is a set up for set triggers . if you have a single trigger or for that mater set triggers , you lock will still work fine as long as you use the front trigger or only have a single trigger .
there are many cheaper locks

I found it. I don't know how..but I did.
Thanks for the info.

Hoyt: May I suggest that you buy a spare and keep it on hand, if you lost it once, you could loose it again...

It is better to have a spare and not need it than it is to need one and not have it...

Musketman I was thinking just that the other day..only I was thinking I need a spare ready to go lock.
Soon as gobbler season is over and I can scrounge up some money.. I'm going to start on a long rifle for deer and hogs..most likely a .54cal. or .60cal. just in case I go elk hunting again. Going to either be 38" Virginia style with Chambers Colonial Virginia lock..or Isaac Haines with Chambers Deluxe Large Siler. Most likely the Virginia style. All this Rice barrel stuff has me rethinking which barrel.
Anyway when I start ordering I'm going to get a spare fly or two at least.

Those little flys live up to their name sometimes! Just a tip, we keep one of those super magnetic extendable wands around the shop in case we drop a lock part or two. Yeh, it picks up all kinds of metal shavings too, but hey we usually find 2 or 3 flys in the mix!

Those little flys live up to their name sometimes! Just a tip, we keep one of those super magnetic extendable wands around the shop in case we drop a lock part or two. Yeh, it picks up all kinds of metal shavings too, but hey we usually find 2 or 3 flys in the mix!

Couldn't you make the fly itself magnetic, then it would never fall out... :hmm:

Hoyt,
I keep all the lock parts in a large plastic butter bowl during the various stages of assembly, inletting ,etc..

THE FLY ALWAYS GETS TAPED TO THE INSIDE OF THE LID TILL THE LOCK IS COMPLETED, (BROWNED/ POLISHED/ ETC.), and finally assembled for the last time.

Haven't lost one in a while, except when I misplaced the lid for a couple of days.

Regards,
Terry

Back