• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mississippi didn't miss...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulN/KS

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Took the Mississippi rifle out yesterday and spent the day in the cold and windy woods from dawn to dusk. Saw no deer... :(
Put the loaded Mississippi in the barn. Took it out today at around 09:00 for another try... about noon thirty a doe went behind me but no good shot opportunity.
About 15 minutes (and one Snickers bar) later, I look up and see it coming towords me again. Got settled in this time and when it offered me a broadside shot the Mississipi rifle went off and she ran up the hill. A bit of blood trailing later and I found her. :)
The overnight load went off like a fresh one and the PRB hit her right in the heart/lung area.
So much for getting up early eh...?
Nice fat doe, perfect for the freezer. And I still have a buck tag.
My daughter wished me luck this morning as she went to school. Guess it worked. :grin:

Congrats!

There's a lot to be said for first light and dusk - but just as much for the rest of the day, too. I note that around 9:30 to 10:00AM is a hot time to be in thick cover as hunters that have been in place since before dawn get cold and need to drain their potatos or get the circulation to their feet flowing and begin moving and the deer move a bit to avoid them.

The trick is to make sure your section of woods is quiet and the wind is in your favor.

Thanks. Took some pics and then the wife took some with me and my 7 year old. Hope to get them posted at some point.
Gotta get the kid to bed now tho...
Oh, funny thing is that I had a shot, with my bow, at a buck bout the same time of the day last week. My arrow hit a twig tho... :redface:

Waidmanns Heil and congrats to the nice doe! :thumbsup:
What cal. is your rifle .54 or .58?

Because of deer moving. It belongs to their eating rythm. Deers with big stomaches don't move so much as deer with small stomaches. Our german roedeer are little ones and have little stomaches so they have to move all 6 hours for eating. Normally they move 3-4 times a day. When the days are short you have a good chance to get them before noon.

Regards :hatsoff:

Kirrmeister

Thanks Kirrmeister,
It is a .54 caliber rifle.
Around here some folks believe the deer move at certain times due to where the moon is or the phases of the moon. I like your theory about the size of the deer and eating though. :hmm: The bucks tend to get nocturnal if there is a lot of hunting pressure.
Where I hunt it is a thickly wooded strip on the back of a farm so they use it as cover and a travel area. Being in the right place can be a challenge as there are many trails.

Because of the roebucks I found that they move over day or in the morning and evening when they have to defend a territory. That is starting in april and ends in september or october. After this time they only move very late during the night, normally after does and fawns/calves and not together with them.

I think with the Whitetails it is similar.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Scotish roe are know for feeding under a moon and tend to show less during daylight.
I have noticed when little or no moon I see more roe any day time.

Last time I drove down the autobahn in Germany I could not believe how many roe I see :shocked2: There was scores of them!

Well done with that Mississippi rifle. :hatsoff:

Brit.

Grats Paul. :hatsoff:
I like to hunt all day, during the gun seasons especially since ours are short. Of all the deer I've killed, I bet half were shot between 10:00am and 2:00pm.

Back