• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mississippi Rifle PRB help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is the sort of question you old timers are tired of seeing, but at the moment I’m limited to using my mobile phone and trying to search past threads for the information I seek is very cumbersome.

I have a .54 reproduction Mississippi Rifle with a bore diameter of .538, found by slugging the bore with an oversized bullet. What round ball and patch thickness would you recommend? This is my first musket designed for round ball and I just don’t know where to start. Thanks for any help!

Are you planning on buying balls or do you cast? If buying, I'd try some .520 balls from Track of the Wolf with .015 or .018 patches. It'd be a starting point anyhow.

They also have .515 and .526 you could mess with using different patch thicknesses.

Thanks @hawkenhunter50. For now I’ll probably just buy some balls to try it out and see how I like it. I appreciate the tips.

@kh54, my recommendation for a starting ball is to begin with a ball that is about 0.010" less in diameter than the land-to-land measurement. Then I get a patch that is 0.005" + the groove depth. Knowing only the bore diameter which may include the groove depth, I will speculate that the 0.526 or 0.520 ball with a 0.018 cotton drill patch would be a good starting point. It will be best to be buying ball until you know what size performs for top accuracy on target.

Back