• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mississippi Rifle questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings All. I recently picked up a nice defarbed Antonio Zoli Mississippi rifle in .54 caliber from another forum member. (Thanks @David Smith03!) I’ve more or less figured out Minié ball casting and sizing for a variety of larger caliber muskets, Enfields (.577+/-) and Springfields (.58+/-) and I’ve also cast Miniés for the MS rifle with a Lyman 542622/425 gr mold, ready to size. (The musket bore is .538 checked with a pin gauge.)

Questions: (1) The Lyman mold for the .54 Minie drops a bullet with a much thicker skirt than the .577-.58 molds I use. Does anyone have experience with this bullet? I don’t know whether to get a .535 or .536 sizer. At $40+ each I’d rather not have to buy two or more just to learn which ones I won’t be able to use. (2) What size round ball and patch combo is recommended? I’ve only shot patched RB in .50 Hawken and .50 Mowrey Allen & Thurber rifles. I’m not sure how to translate those experiences to the MS rifle.

I was interested to learn that some of the military cartridges for the MS rifle (pre Civil War) used a round ball with a sewn muslin patch, something I had never heard of. Any thoughts or experience?

Got any photos? I bought a .54 Mississippi a couple of decades ago and it quickly became one of my favorites. I shoot nothing but prb in all my rifles including the M1841. A .530" cast ball and .015" patch gives around an inch for 6 shots at 50 yards. It doesn't do quite as well with conicals.

These are wonderful rifles if a bit heavy for the woods. Mine still managed deer back when I was still hunting.

What size is the minie as cast? If it's .542 or larger, you may be taking off too much groove depth getting it down to .536, if for that matter you're able to pound it through a push through die. I read a post on the N-SSA. bulletin board by a guy who was selling his Lyman 542 because he couldn't get it to shoot well after sizing to .536. I believe Lee makes several .54 minie moulds that are smaller than the Lyman.

Last edited:
Back