• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mixing shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn stern

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can you mix shot? I have some #4 and buckshot I would like to mix for a tighter pattern or some #4 and #6.
I'm shoot a 20gauge fowler with 85 grains FF

Suggestions...........
Does less powder tighten shot pattern?

Thanks
Shawn

Stern said:
Can you mix shot? I have some #4 and buckshot I would like to mix for a tighter pattern or some #4 and #6.
Yes, a few of the major manufacturers have offered that for years
Does less powder tighten shot pattern?

Normally

They are called Duplex loads by some manufacturers. Usually I think the difference is slight, like mixing #6 and #4 for turkey. What are you trying to accomplish with buckshot and bird shot. BTW buckshot is big business with old timers in the South and buckshot is sold in a lot of different sizes. #4 buckshot is often used for point blank deer hunting in the jungles (5-10 yard shots. IAE- what is your goal?

I use a mix of #5 & #7 1/2's for all my small game hunting....tree rats and rabbits in my 20ga and 58 smoothie don't seem to have any problems

Tree rats, rabbits and bird.

I guess I was alittle dissappointed with my fall squirrel hunt when I go close to the critters and shot without a kill 85grains FF and #4

Back