• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ML Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronMan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Rifle my son-in-law gave me for christmas last year. It is marked Jukar Spain on the barrel. I think it is .50 cal.
Can anyone tell me anything about this rifle?

IronMan

IronMan,
hang in there, someone will have an answer for you. by the way stop by the welcome forum and introduce yourself
snake-eyes :) :peace: :thumbsup:

Made by Jukar in Spain and sold by CVA in the States about 1960-80.I dont think the company Jukar is still in bussines.
ARILAR :thumbsup:

Not to disillusion you, IronMan

A friend of mine traded his son's .32 rifle for one at Rendezvous as he had grown out of it. He traded for a used .45 Jukar. At least I remember it being a .45. He was sorry he did. The rifle is known for its troublesome misfires. Even when using the hottest percussion caps. I'm guessing this is a percussion ignition?

Hopefully you won't have the same problem. Shooting it will be the only way to know.

Thanks for the answers guys. I wont be disapointed whatever I find out. Like I said my son-in-law gave it as a Christmas gift so I take it in the spirit of the gift if I never shoot it. Thanks again.

IronMan

Your Junkar has a drum and bolster ignition system which means that the flame has to make a 90 degree turn through the ignition channel to ignite the powder charge. This was a typical design of the early flintlock conversions to percussion systems. It is not as efficient as later designs. It simply won't work very well with Pyrodex. A common practice for hunting with such a rifle is to put a small charge of black powder unter the nipple for that first shot of the day to insure that your gun will go off. As long as you use black powder it should work fairly well but you will have to be fastidious about ignition channel maintenance. There ought to be a screw at the end of the drum for cleaning. Use a nipple pick to clean the channel out periodically by removing that screw and remove that nipple every time for cleaning, making sure that everything is clear. Junkars are 1:60" rifling guns so they work best with patched round balls.

Thanks Plains99

I'll check that out. Maybe someone will take the hint and get the CVA Bobcat for me for Christmas :thumbsup:

IronMan

Back