• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mocs for Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do any of you use moccasins for hunting? I'm thinking the leather soles would be good for quiet stalking, but I'm interested in your experiences. I know there is controversy about how PC Dyer's or Arrow Mocs are and that's not what I'm after...my main focus is functionality for hunting.

Here in Colorado, they suck!! I used them one year whild bowhunting, the ground cover was crackly dry, and thought I could be quieter. I got into the pine timber, and every slight incline or decline, I slid like I was on skis!! On pine needles, unless it's level, they're worthless.

I've used these to squirrel hunt during the warmer part of the season and they work quite well in my neck of the woods. They are a bit quiter than hard soled shoes, and you can feel EVERYTHING you step on. I think that helps you to avoid stepping on the noisy stuff.

IMG_1169.jpg

Used to do it all the time...for twenty years probably. I'd probably break my neck now, my cat like reflexes are long gone.

If I had a pair I would wear them in the house to sneak up on the wife :wink:

Mike Brines said:
every slight incline or decline, I slid like I was on skis!!

Would be the same on any steep terrain, I imagine. Around the bluff country of the Mississippi river valley, I won't even use "modern" boots without a good straight-cut heel to dig in. A blanket of oak leaves on a steep hillside might as well be a sheet of ice!

Does anyone make mocs with a good heel? I haven't found any online and just suppose a "real" heel isn't PC/HC, so they don't make them that way.

Arguments aside about 'authentic'. I haven't and wouldn't. As much as I love the comfort of soft sole mocs, it must be recognized there are safety concerns. In the Ozarks we encounter every kind of terrain and hazard possible. From slippery mud to pointy sticks, venemous snakes, sharp rocks, etc. we have it. There is a reason why sturdy hunting boots were invented.

I'm with you Rifleman, for years my hunting boots were the LL Beans...Twice in 3 years I turned my ankle so bad I had to have a walking cast...Finally went to a boot with more ankle support...While I like the idea of being totally PC, it's not practical in my case...

Hubertus said:
Do any of you use moccasins for hunting? I'm thinking the leather soles would be good for quiet stalking, but I'm interested in your experiences. I know there is controversy about how PC Dyer's or Arrow Mocs are and that's not what I'm after...my main focus is functionality for hunting.

They are fantastic for hunting, far quieter than any other footwear.

The major issue that many encounter is the traction. Moccasins made of commercial leather are made with the smooth side out, making them extremely slick. Another issue is people tend to put heavy soles on their moccasins in an effort to protect their feet made soft my modern shoes. This is also a mistake, making the soles slick and unable to conform to the terrain (and therefore, grip).

All that aside, soft-soled moccasins made of braintan or even commercial tan with the rough side out, work quite well. They may be slightly more slick than modern footwear, but they make you slow down, actually paying attention to how you walk AND where you put your feet.

Also, one must walk the right way. In modern shoes, we tend to come down on our heel, which in moccasins on wet/snowy ground, will cause your heel to slip. One needs to set their foot down on the ball first, then setting the heel down after. In this case, your entire foot makes contact and your weight is distributed on the whole foot and not a spot the size of a silver dollar. Turning your toes in a bit and gripping with your toes gives you better grip.

Honestly, in the past 15 years of hunting with moccasins, I have never turned my ankle. It is an entirely different story in modern shoes.

I hunt in wet, swampy places. I worry about the other kind of moccasins.

I love dissucussions like this one. Mocs are just a fancy way of going barefoot IMHO. If its wet your feet will eventually get wet, if its cold n wet even worse. walking in mocs as said before is a whole different animal then walking in normal boots that we are used to. In mocs you have to relearn so to speak how to walk, you can't just put em on n head out to hunt, you have to wear them ALOT before hand and walk in all sorts of terrain to get used to what your foot and toes must do to not end up on yer butt or twist an ankle. For those in snake country you can always make a heavy legging so to speak to protect your leg from the ankle to the knee. Biggest thing with mocs is YA GOT TO WEAR THEM every chance you get, out in the yard , for a quick stroll in the woods, when ever n where ever you can put them on n get used to them. I can pretty much garentee yer feet are gonna hurt some until you get used to them but once they do you will love the lightness and feel for the ground they give you. In snowy conditions you can wrap 1/4 inch rope around the instep n under the sole area for extra traction n it also helps in the fall n early winter on dry grass areas(uncomfortacle at first but ya get used to it), gives ya that little bit of traction we are more used to.Biggest thing with mocs I've learned over the years is that ya HAVE TO WEAR THEM not just put them on from time to time. just some thoughts YMHS Birdman ps I've got feet as flat as a board but that never was a problem for me. Mocs make ya pay attention to walking, where you place your foot and how you put it there, there is a learning curve you must master before they become you foot wear of choice n it takes some time to master and become comfortable in them

Creepers are also an option in snowy conditions. Easy to find or make and will provide enough traction to climb ice in moccasins.

Most of the commercial mocs are slippery and not very pc they tradaee off the pC for durability. If you find some that are made from a single piece with no extra hard sole they may be closer to pC but still ptobably slick, I had one pair modified several years ago with a rubber traction sole glued onto a pair of arrows if I recall the brand, and for several years have worn gore-tex socks to protect old cold feet, I like my home made for moderate weather. but fallback on the rubber soled with gore-tex socks on cold weather and I do not mind not being pc/hC, I do npt pretend to be to anyone. The easiest way to get PC mocs is to make them it is simple and fast, then see how you do wearing them. There are ways as mentioned to help avoid taking a dive.There are other PC/HC types of foot wear that are available as well the one might consider. It all depends on the level at which you play.

I've considered Mocs for hunting for all the good reasons mentioned. My biggest concerns are all the varieties of cactus we have here in Arizona. Small and large they all stick and I've even had them go through some tough boots.

Mike

I tried it one year for a deer hunt, the area was so rocky my feet were bruised for quite a while after. I was able to put the stalk an a nice antelope buck though(no tag for antelope of course). I have used mine for Turkey hunts and always ended up wet, I have thought about the GoreTex sock. Learning to walk in them correctly and conditioning your muscles like others have said is key cause when you do, you use muscles in your feet and legs you did not know you had. I will probably do it again!! Its fun!! I need to pull mine out and start walkin!!!

They worked for centuries. Modern man has simply forgotten how to walk on their own feet today.

kbuck said:
I hunt in wet, swampy places. I worry about the other kind of moccasins.

Cottonmouth moccasins and rattlesnakes are a concern in whatever part of Florida I hunt, therefore, I stick with my Gokey Snake boots.

What Black Hand describes is called a " Fox Walk"in Tom Brown, Jr.'s book: "Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking", a terrific resource you should consider having.

To walk the way BH describes, you unlock the knee of the foot that is behind when you step forward with the other foot, so that your weight is balanced on the back foot. That allows you to gently feel the ground with ( FIRST-BARE FOOT! until you teach your soles how to feel again) your moccasin dressed foot. ONLY when you know that the ground under that foot will permit you to put the foot down FLAT do you do so, and then transfer your body weight from the back foot to the forward foot. You can lock that knee as you put all the weight on it, or simply keep that knee unlocked to move the other foot forward, to complete the two-step cycle of your Alternating Gait.

You avoid thorns, sticks that break and make noise, rocks that hurt, and/or turn ankles, and, YES, the technique makes you move slowly. Most hunters have no idea what SLOW WALKING is! You stick to existing game trails, and runs, rather than " busting brush". You listen to birds, squirrels and other animals that give off warning cries to alert everything within earshot of your presence, location, speed, and direction of movement. YOU LEARN what those alarm calls are, and learn how to move SLOWER to prevent them from occurring.

Even lug-soled boots are slick to walk on inclines if the soles get filled with mud! Moccasins just get there faster. Soft moccasins- or "socks' made of brain tanned leathers-- let you protect your feet, while still giving you the grip of walking barefoot.

Carry extra pairs in your haversack( or daypack), along with extra socks( Wool, or Gore-tex) and change them as needed. You will find in time that you find places to walk that don't soak your footwear so much, and when you have no choice, you take the footwear off, and cover the wet ground barefoot! :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Along the way you learn to move as slow as a tree, you see and hear more game, and you get much closer to the game without them being alerted. You also become scary in your skills to walk up on people without them hearing you approach at all! :shocked2: :grin: :thumbsup:

Back