• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Model 1851 Austrian Tube Lock (Augustin Lock) cavalry pistol.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ll start a new thread on this alone.
A9BD0CC4-BDB7-405E-B1BB-BBD8826820C1.jpeg
AD139EBD-2DE7-4C18-8D21-3A7FAB11E274.jpeg

All the bits but as yet uncleaned
89E0CE9A-3E40-462C-AFA0-D72C174324E1.jpeg
Nicely inletted for a military piece
74999AC7-E6B0-4A2C-9054-EAFAA1BD23F3.jpeg
768DE859-147A-447E-8726-388AD3AB773A.jpeg
I’m no great believer in ‘the patina of age’ on something that is going to be used, and this is going to get some use,

I’ve no idea of it’s history but it wouldn’t have much military history as these were replaced with cap guns after only some four years and sold off as surplus and most were converted by the trade to percussion cap or flintlock, the original tube locks are rare.
The overall length is 16.5 inches and the barrel is 9.75 with a bore length of 9 inches, so the breech plug is a hefty 3/4 inch.

Last edited:
I’ll start a new thread on this alone.
View attachment 214140
View attachment 214141
All the bits but as yet uncleanedView attachment 214142Nicely inletted for a military pieceView attachment 214143View attachment 214144I’m no great believer in ‘the patina of age’ on something that is going to be used, and this is going to get some use,

I’ve no idea of it’s history but it wouldn’t have much military history as these were replaced with cap guns after only some four years and sold off as surplus and most were converted by the trade to percussion cap or flintlock, the original tube locks are rare.
The overall length is 16.5 inches and the barrel is 9.75 with a bore length of 9 inches, so the breech plug is a hefty 3/4 inch.

So what caliber is that?
Is it rifled or smoothbore?
Have you had a chance to scope the bore, and if so, can we see photos?
Does anybody make tubes for it these days?

LD

A bit more; the outer vent, which accepts the tube, is 0.162” diam. and the inner vent is 0.144” (which is rather large).
These sizes were obtained using a digital calliper and a kebab skewer.
The diameter for a tube will be around 0.159”, based on the skewer fit. 03BA6473-0A05-42BC-B463-916103E295C9.jpeg
AD296EE3-FB73-488A-BB43-6875348A0ACD.jpeg
Got a shot of the bore bur not a good one.
21FCBF94-DE7A-45FB-8099-8D72ED218DBD.jpeg
and using a torch through the vent.
599FE41D-279D-4B38-8388-137CF11FF1C5.jpeg

With no offence may I make a suggestion, I personally. do not think it is a tube lock.{a}the touch hole for the tube is far too large {b] there is no anvil. with having a plunger type striker to me it more associated to a pellet or patch lock or loose fultimate compound similar to Forsythe scent bottle lock
The match head has been mentioned but I have seen the ribbon caps from the child's toy pistol or rifle used for patch or pellet lock Hope I have not upset this thread I apologise if so
Feltwad

Feltwad,
No apologies needed, always feel free to express an opinion, that’s part of how we learn; however in this case there is no doubt that it is a tube lock, the Austrians‘ mistake in not going for the percussion cap, both with pistols and rifles is very well documented, it proved to be a very expensive exercise.
See https://capandball.com/the-story-of-the-augustin-tube-lock-ignition-system/

Feltwad,
No apologies needed, always feel free to express an opinion, that’s part of how we learn; however in this case there is no doubt that it is a tube lock, the Austrians‘ mistake in not going for the percussion cap, both with pistols and rifles is very well documented, it proved to be a very expensive exercise.
See https://capandball.com/the-story-of-the-augustin-tube-lock-ignition-system/
Yes you are correct my viewing of the gun gave me the impression of a patch lock SOORY.
Feltwad

Tried making some tubes but with mixed success; first aluminium can was to hard and impossible to roll with the fingers, next was a Coka-Cola can and that rolled OK (drank half the can and used the rest to clean the brass, works well).
Primed with toy caps but not much bang and some didn’t go off at all.75E32E74-B2CE-48FD-B5C3-A70728806D4F.jpegsome paraphenalia with a fired one and one ready to go at the bottom; gives a mighty hit.

It is several decades since I made tubes which were for large fowling guns then I used copper tube which was bought from a model shop it was cut to size then made to shape they were then annealed When cold they were lorded with the fultmate from a musket top hat cap the end sealed with beeswax.
Feltwad
P1010031.JPG

Maybe a small diameter straw or copper brake line tubing? Would ground 4F ignite when struck? Then again the head of a strike anywhere type match still comes to mind (coupled with a full face shield??)

Don't know if it would work or how sturdy they would be, but perhaps a heavy tin foil for the tubes. Seems it would be easier to form the tubes and offer less resistance to the hammer strike, just thinking these sorts of projects are always interesting, and makes me think of other approaches.

Quick look found a place called Blick that sells craft metal sheets in 5x5 squares in different metals, and thickness gauges.

Back