• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Model 1865 Maynard Sporting rifle... Cartridge?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have a system for forming a cartridge for the Model 1865 Maynard (percussion) Sporting Rifle. It is a .40 caliber round with a uniquely shaped brass cartridge. I heard you can do it with 30/40 Krag brass but that is all I know.
Note.. This is not the Cavalry Carbine round... This is the Sporting Rifle.

Last edited:
The brass would still have the very large rim similar to the .50 carbine round for extraction. I have a friend, engineer & machinist, who turned a base sleeve with rim that he slipped over the converted cases that he was using for a cartridge Maynard and soldered them in place. This was a labor of love as you can imagine the work that went into each case but it allowed him to shoot a ceter-fire Maynard in one of their propriety cartridges.

You might try some of the K&S brass tubing that you can buy in hobby shops and some hardware stores. Cut it to length and turn a base with the large rim and a short portion that will slip into the tube and then solder them together.

Does anyone out there have a system for forming a cartridge for the Model 1865 Maynard (percussion) Sporting Rifle. It is a .40 caliber round with a uniquely shaped brass cartridge. I heard you can do it with 30/40 Krag brass but that is all I know.
There are ctgs. for the Smith carbine made out of some hard rubber or something. I wonder if you simply google what you're looking for, or contact the N-NSA, who are kind of the actual shooting guys that would know where to refer you. Let us know, good that you're trying to re-animate an oldie! :)

There are ctgs. for the Smith carbine made out of some hard rubber or something. I wonder if you simply google what you're looking for, or contact the N-NSA, who are kind of the actual shooting guys that would know where to refer you. Let us know, good that you're trying to re-animate an oldie! :)
good Idea.. Will try that.. Thanks !!!

Years ago Dixie Gun Works sold several kinds of Maynard brass.
Don’t know if they still do.

Back