• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Modified an old Navy Arms/Pedersoli SLP King's Musket into a Militia Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The numerous discussions on this forum pointing out the shortcomings of commercially made Bess repros final motivated me to modify mine. I decided to make it into something that could have been assembled by a New England gunsmith in the years immediately preceeding the Revolutionary War. Keeping it a SLP was not really an option for me as I'm in Eastern Massachusetts (Maine) and the SLPs came along after most of the action here had passed.

Aside from the areas around the lock and tang, mine had a horrendously done swell. The original builder, for some reason, gave it a wasp-waist. Luckily, there was enough wood left to remove it and thin down the stock overall. I thinned the areas around the lock and tang, as well as reshaped the sides. I also thinned it along the ramrod channel.

Shaping was done with a farrier's rasp and fine files, smoothed out with scrapers. Any remaining finish was scraped off. Once the wood was nice and smooth, I went over it with 400 grit paper and a tack cloth. Final finish is Fiebrings Saddle Tan and Watco Danish Oil.

The atrocious swell...
20240726_063055.jpg
20240726_063143.jpg
After reducing it down. 20240726_063359.jpg

The original lock and tang areas in all of their chunkiness 20240726_063004.jpg

Reshaped, with a concave curve on the tang area. 20240725_171314.jpg
20240726_062747.jpg
I filed the sideplate to give it some contour. My goal was to have it look like something a gunsmith might have cast.
20240725_171030.jpg

The final result. I'll eventually either modify or replace the Stowe lockplate. (And yes, I know all about the flash guard...)
20240726_061450.jpg

Back