• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Modified Colt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope this is ok. Just had to share. Looks like a good conversation piece.
I have a link if anyone is interested in reading.

Attachments

• IMG_5203.jpeg
    IMG_5203.jpeg
    659.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 436bbb_e003abbdad9d4ac091794500e6f59005~mv2.jpg
    436bbb_e003abbdad9d4ac091794500e6f59005~mv2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 0
I hope this is ok. Just had to share. Looks like a good conversation piece.
I have a link if anyone is interested in reading.
The first looks like a single shot cartridge conversion (firing pin showing) and the second a single shot percussion conversion (nipple showing). I wonder if they were cobbled together parts guns with damaged cylinders that were some how made inoperable ?
I'd be interested in reading their story!

Those don't look like a good idea, to me. I guess the one on the right would be a true muzzle-loader, but capping it might be a trick. The one on the left looks like it is intended to fire a cartridge. The only way I can see it would work is to drive out the wedge, remove the barrel assembly, load the cartridge, then reassemble. However, I would not want to carry it pre-loaded. Not with an exposed firing pin like that. So, it would be unsafe to carry loaded, and impractical to load. Not a good idea at all.

Casting no aspersions on @Jappo , though... thanks for showing these! Just when you think you've about seen them all, something completely different comes along, and these are "differenter" than any handguns I remember seeing. Somebody did post photos a while back of a heavily modified Ruger Old Army revolver that had been rebuilt as a hard-core match pistol. I thought that one was funny looking, but these two just take the biscuit.

Notchy Bob

Those don't look like a good idea, to me. I guess the one on the right would be a true muzzle-loader, but capping it might be a trick. The one on the left looks like it is intended to fire a cartridge. The only way I can see it would work is to drive out the wedge, remove the barrel assembly, load the cartridge, then reassemble. However, I would not want to carry it pre-loaded. Not with an exposed firing pin like that. So, it would be unsafe to carry loaded, and impractical to load. Not a good idea at all.

Casting no aspersions on @Jappo , though... thanks for showing these! Just when you think you've about seen them all, something completely different comes along, and these are "differenter" than any handguns I remember seeing. Somebody did post photos a while back of a heavily modified Ruger Old Army revolver that had been rebuilt as a hard-core match pistol. I thought that one was funny looking, but these two just take the biscuit.

Notchy Bob
The first example appears to load much like the Merwin Hulbert disassembles… twist the barrel,,remove from the frame and drop a cartridge in place.

Back