• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

modified versa vice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randal Zartman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was doing a search on the net and came across an article at this website by Jerry Crawford. Modifying a versa vise. First question, I think it was under tool making, but where is that on the main index?
Second question, Does anyone know where to buy such a vise or do you have to modify a versa vise or universal vise.
I plan to go to Dixon's gunmakers' fair next month. Is it possible they would have what I am looking for?
Thanks for your help with this info and the many laughs I get reading the many postings.
Zman

I got my Versa Vise from Brownells. It wasn't cheap, but I really like using it. I also got the space age plastic padded jaws they sell, as well.

Brownells is now selling a product called the Multi Vise which is even more expensive. It seems to be functionally identical to the Versa Vise I bought from them some years back, but now they ask $220 for a copy. It is now painted green, not red.

Here's a link:Multi Vise

You can buy the Versa-Vise from Brownells. But I bought my Parrot-Vise which looks the same except made in China for $42.95 on sale at WoodCrafts. (Regular price is $ 49.95)
You can also purchase them at Grizzly Tools for $ 49.95. I also have the adapter that Jerry Crawford sells (? $55.? or so) and it works well. I had to turn the shaft of the adapter down .015" as it was just a tad large for the vice but otherwise worked fine. You can easily do this on a belt sander & takes about 10 min. Since I have 2 of the vices, I decided to turn the adapter shaft down & be able to use on both vices rather than enlarge 4 holes.

I am also going to moddify one of the vices so the jaw pivots but have not done that yet.

Custom Flintlocks & Custom Skinning Knives

Yeah, if I was going to do it all over again, I'd go with the Shop Fox Parrot Vise. I was just coming back to post about it when I saw your response.

Thanks for the input. Do you have any links to Jerry Crawford? I saw that he originally took a versa vise and modified the jaw so that it pivoted. I am just getting started on building my first gun. I am planning on an Issac Haines style 50 cal, flintlock. I have so much to learn and employment keeps getting in my way. Fortunately it helps pay for my hobbies. :)

I believe Jerry moved to Colorado recently. I don't have a contact number but his email is probably the same. Anyway, I received the swing arm from him and used it on the woodcraft versa-vise. With about a 10 minute modification on the vise with a dremel it fit and works perfectly. A darn good investment!

Back