• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mold sizes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripshod

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I currently have 2 barrels on order.The first one is a .62 cal 1 in 72 twist from Ed Rayl and the second is a .69 cal 1 in 66 from Bobby Hoyt.I have looked at what is available for round ball molds and in the .62 it looks like it will probably be a .600 or .610.In the .69 I am not so sure what is available.I see a .69 which I am pretty sure is too big.There is a .662 and a .678 I think also available.Should I wait until after the barrels arrive before ordering molds?Thanks

I would purchase cast balls of in differnet diameters before I dedicated myself to the moulds.

As far as my .62 rifle is concerned, the .610 works best with a .018 to .020 patch.

Good advise from flintlock62,,

Try different sizes,,you can always sell what you don't use here and recoup some monies.
Also, heed the advise of the makers,,both are great names in barrel making and they should know what the barrels like.
But the simple act of two different people loading can make a differance when it comes to what your barrel(s) will truley like.

Loading for an Armisport 69 with minie rifling turned out to be real frustrating. Ended up getting it to shoot by putting a lubed 1/2" fiber wad over the powder and then a thinly patched ball. Giving the wad and ball good solid whacks turned out to be the secret to success. Found that out by happy accident. Afterwards it made sense seeing as I was basically shooting a rifled shot gun.
I tried a 675 Lyman mold and a 680 that came in a trade.

Latest posts

Back