• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

moose and black bear hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawk

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Well two weeks til I go to moose camp . I will be bringing the .54 smoothrifle and 12 bore musket along.I also hope to bag a few grouse and maybe a black bear . We still hunt and dont use a bait so wèll have to find them.

Good luck to all that are hunting this season

CHEERS!

Bill ,I cant seem to even get the grass cut with out that dang moosehead beer. I will try to get some pictures this year if my camera will cooperate ....last year it gave me some grief.LOL

Good luck (Waidmanns Heil) for your hunt.

Pictures would be really nice, as I've seen a couple of yours already and found those made me start dreaming about lands far far away.

Silex

Good luck you!Same here,I'm leaving on the 17 to area 39.Got my deer, moose and bear tags, but I'll be happy if I can only get a couple of grouse.
I'll take the .45 and .54 .I hope to come across a moose calf since I'm just going by myself.That pretty much makes dragging an adult moose out of the bush next to impossible.
Where are you going?

12 October I'm heading to WMU 4 north of Sioux Lookout, Taking my TC ;) Going after a calf as well since I missed the draw :cursing:
My cousin got drawn for bull so thas good too.
I can't wait!!

Were in 41 north of hwy 17 between Northbay and Sudbury.A calf is still a fair big piece to carry ...count on being sore after thatLOL...I know I was :haha:
Good luck to you. what town are you nearest when you hunt.

Thats alittle more north than were we are LOL.Are you leaving from CFB Bordon ,thats a fair drive if you are. I was thinking my renegade rifle too ...still might drag it out for a day ...so many guns so little time. :haha:

Good luck to you and your gang.

Yes, a moose, even little, is BIG. Back when my partner and I killed a moose it took us 6 trips to pack out that moose. My partner suffered a heart attack on the third trip and it took me an additional two more trips just to pack HIM out. :rotf: :rotf: :hmm:

I used to guide moose hunts, some hunters develope a bad knee or back right after shooting a large bull :rotf: 6 trips is about right for a good bull!

Yup!,the first moose I ever shot, I was alone. He was directly accross a small river from my camp when I shot him. Luckily, he was only about 20 meters from shore when he went down. Only took 7 hours to break him down, drag him piece by piece to the canoe, & 3 trips to ferry him accross to camp.
If you've never been close to one, it's hard to realize how big they are. 6' from the front hoof to the top of his shoulder blade. And then he keeps going up from there.
Paul

I asked Tomah,a Penobscot friend,how the NA got a moose back to camp.
Tomah smiled and said they didn't,,they moved the camp to the moose. :rotf: :rotf:

Back