• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

moose hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Hawken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
just curious who all had taken moose with a .54 i have worked up some 425 gr great plains bullets and 430 gr maxi balls for my hunt but i wondering if i could get by with a rb? my shots will be about 75yrds with a 100 yrd max.

A 230 grain round ball will kill a moose. They are not that difficult an animal to bring down.However, considering their size, you may not get the ball to penetrate completely throught the ribcage. If you are only capable of tracking blood trails, use the conical to get full penetration and a double blood trail to follow. There are 437.5 grains( approx) to the ounce, so you are shooting a one ounce slug at the moose if you use the conicals. They will get the job done, even if they hit bones. Good luck on your hunt. Let us know and see some pictures if you are fortunate to get your moose.

The roundball will do it just fine. There are plenty of guys who shoot moose with 54cal roundballs. Good Luck and have fun!

Back