• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

More scattergunnin' for me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Great afternoon on our woodpigeon over decoy's.
Had them coming in so close I was able to drop to 3/4oz loads.

16 birds and I quit...plenty. They were still wanting to come in but I had my plenty. Something like 35shots. I lost some....even after my spaniel tried her best we lost a few.

Brits :hatsoff:

Excellent, Brits. I'm feeling a little green.

You want to be careful out there. :haha:

"The Pennsylvania Gazette
March 20, 1740
PHILADELPHIA.

Tuesday last the Mill commonly called the Governor's Mill, near this Town, took Fire (as it's thought, by the Wadding of Guns fired at wild Pidgeons) and was burnt down to the Ground."

Spence

That looks like so much fun it should be outlawed :surrender: . I can't remember the last time I went dove hunting. I have only 2 shotguns, one that's 40 years old and one I've had for 36 years. My next muzzleloader will be a 28 gauge for squirrels an rabbits.

George said:
Excellent, Brits. I'm feeling a little green.

You want to be careful out there. :haha:

"The Pennsylvania Gazette
March 20, 1740
PHILADELPHIA.

Tuesday last the Mill commonly called the Governor's Mill, near this Town, took Fire (as it's thought, by the Wadding of Guns fired at wild Pidgeons) and was burnt down to the Ground."

Spence

:haha: Brilliant Spence...it's fine today...was raining earlier :thumbsup:

B.

Good shooting. I agree, this kind of hunting is too much fun to be legal. We are about a week away from our season here and the shotguns are ready!

MattC said:
How do you prepare them? :stir:

I filet the breasts grind the meat with what ever spices I fancy (chilli and ceyenne usualy)and onion and make burgers or meat loaf. A little sage is good. Black pepper works too.

B.

Your story reminds me of an incident in Robert Ruark's The Horn of the Hunter. He was on a safari and got into a wing shooting contest with the professional. There were so many birds coming in that you were only allowed to shoot doubles that would fall in a certain sized circle. Ruark won.

OH - hey you're having too much fun - I second that. :grin: :hatsoff:
Congratulations!

Can you believe they cut the season for the woodies over here to November through February - not many around that time of the year :youcrazy:

Good shooting!
Silex

Silex said:
OH - hey you're having too much fun - I second that. :grin: :hatsoff:
Congratulations!

Can you believe they cut the season for the woodies over here to November through February - not many around that time of the year :youcrazy:

Good shooting!
Silex

I did not know you have a season for woodies Silex!
We have no closed season.
In November we can see thousands feeding on acorns where ever there be oaks!

Brits.

Brits.

Brits Very Nice Sir! Did you make any doubles??
Thats lots of shooting there! :thumbsup:
Need a gunner bearer???...Give me 3 days warning :grin:

makeumsmoke said:
Brits Very Nice Sir! Did you make any doubles??
Thats lots of shooting there! :thumbsup:
Need a gunner bearer???...Give me 3 days warning :grin:

When ever your ready friend.

No doubles but nearly....the first chance I had I missed the first bird. The second and last chance a cap failed me!
Actually I am not using a normal cap but some really old Eley shot shell primers with the copper anvil pulled and the brass cup pinched a little. They are quite hard but have some power to them! Good enough for pigeons!

B :hatsoff:

Love to see your double all dirty!.. :thumbsup:
I'm still waiting for my first double on ducks.
If those birds fly like our field pigeons there is lots of weaving, dodging twisting,turning going on.
Converted my dbl 10 Pedersoli to musket caps. Got the scares to prove it!.
Is there a slight gain in velocity by using those primers?
More Powder! More Lead!!! Game On!....dan
Oh..As a gun bearer I'd only laugh when you whiffed the easy ones! :grin:

Back