• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Morning Hunt with Pic's!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbiggers

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What was intended to be a morning of squirrel hunting and an oppertunity to dress out in my frontier gear, basically turned into a pleasant walk through the hills and woods of East Tennessee. Of course Mitzi decided to bring her camera, again... :shake: It was a nice day and the temp was in the low 80's, but the humidity was like 2,000%... :shocked2:...yuk :barf:

Living in Morristown Tenn, we're just a stones throw from Jefferson county where Davy Crockett and his family lived, and ran there little tavern. This area is also where Davy spent most of his time in the woods, tracking and hunting. Which is also where he gained his reputation as a skilled hunter and marksman. As we walked and looked around, i couldn't help but wonder, "did i just put my foot down on an exact spot ole Davy once did"... :hmm: Hard to say, but we sure had fun thinking we did... :)

Well we only saw one squirrel, but had an incredible time anyway. We scouted out a few new deer trails and Mitzi took several pictures of me decked out in my gear. Anyway, i thought i'd share these with ya'll. Please keep the laughter down to a minimum... :haha:

I saw you go up there, now stick your little head out... :wink:
DSC00023_edited.jpg

What a beautiful day, and boy do I need to go see Jenny Craig.. :shocked2:
DSC00027_edited.jpg

Yep, that's my girl, she's got my back...A picture of it anyway.. :rotf:
DSC00030_edited.jpg

If that dang bird will hold still, i'll shoot that skeeter of its back... :bull:
DSC00029_edited.jpg

Oh yeah, welcome to East Tennessee... :thumbsup:
DSC00031_edited.jpg

Ya can't get to the top, unless you move yur feet.
DSC00033_edited.jpg

Made it up the hill, now lets throw the ole hawk and see what happens... :wink:
DSC00034_edited.jpg

Oh Lord, it stuck, how about that. Beginners luck... :)
DSC00036_edited.jpg

Come on sweet heart, its getting late and time to go to the house...I forgot the water & i'am so thirsty...:doh:
DSC00044_edited.jpg

New picture of my Rifle, my new bag, and the 1st powder horn i ever made... :grin:
DSC00038_edited.jpg

:thumbsup: One word describes it all. Beautiful!! (Well maybe two words. The other is jealous) :v Vern Forgot to mention what lovely work on the horn.

Great pics. Out doin' it, instead of just talking about it huh. :hmm: I need to be more like you. :thumbsup:

Sounds like you had a great time...and you're right, that's a lot of clothes and gear to be wearing in that heat & humidity....need to be careful. I'm over here next door in North Carolina and am sick of the heat & humidity this summer...haven't gone out anywhere near as much as I normally do...one more month then great weather from October through May.

The scenery and photos are great...hope you have a good fall season!
:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing the pics as well as your gear. You did a great job on that horn and that's a fine looking piece you have there too. What caliber is she? And not to mention that you're awful blessed to have your lady accompany you on your outings. Mine used to but due to physical restrictions she no longer can. Hope you have many more together.

A real nice picture documentation of your good time outside. I'm amazed about the nature pics. :thumbsup: Could also be somewhere in northern bavaria/Germany.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Very nice, thanks for posting the pics.

I also agree about the horn - you did a great job on that.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Nice stuff and great pix as well. :hatsoff:
Thanks for sharin. :bow:
Dusty :wink:

PGTMG said:
beautiful horn and rifle. You looked sharp what caliber is your rifle?

Thank you fella's, the ole lady loves to snap them pictures... :snore:

I really appreciate the comments on my horn. I am so proud of that thing, i still can't believe I built that... :thumbsup:

The rifle is my baby, built by "OldArmy"..(aka)..Mike Woodbury, :bow: and she is a .50 cal. Yes i know that's a bit much for squirrel hunting, but its all i got for now. I just load her with about 50 grains of 3f for small game and hope for the best. I use 70 grains for the big stuff. She still shoots straight with either... :wink:

The bag i can't take any credit for, i found it on the CLA site and had to have it. Whoever made it, did a dang fine job... :applause:

Thanks again for the kind remarks,
Danny.. :hatsoff:

Nice rig all the way around, great country, you are lucky, we have two more months before we can carry (guns) in the woods :( down here a man could not last long dressed like that this time of year (heat stroke)looks like a great time just gettin out of the house :hatsoff: keep the pictures coming, gives the rest of us something to look forward to :v

lonehunter said:
Nice rig all the way around, great country, you are lucky, we have two more months before we can carry (guns) in the woods :( down here a man could not last long dressed like that this time of year (heat stroke)looks like a great time just gettin out of the house :hatsoff: keep the pictures coming, gives the rest of us something to look forward to :v

I hear what your saying, and our weather man just forcasted highs back up to the mid to upper 80's through to the middle of next week, with saturday and sunday being in the high 80's... :barf:

Man i'am ready to see the turning of the leaves and that brisk fall air.. :) That's what i like. :thumbsup:

It shore looks like Tennessee to me. I used to do my squirrel killing in the Sequatchie valley. What caliber rifle and what style is it?...........watch yer top knot

Buford said:
It shore looks like Tennessee to me. I used to do my squirrel killing in the Sequatchie valley. What caliber rifle and what style is it?...........watch yer top knot

Yeap, its East Tennessee at its finest.. :wink: Your actually about 2 hours from me. I'am orginally from middle Tenn area, raised in Portland and lived a few years in Hendersonville, before moving to East Tn. 3 1/2 years ago... :thumbsup:

Anyway, to answer your question about my "Baby", i'll paste an excerpt of details from my profile page: Thank you for looking... :hatsoff:

"Early Lancaster" .50 Cal w/38" Swamped Colerain Barrel, Curely Maple Stock, Large "Siler" Lock, Double set Triggers, Brass Furniture, w/inlays of the Hunters Star & Christian Faith Fish.:thumbsup:

Custom Built by "OldArmy" :hatsoff:
Thank's Mike Woodbury. :bow:

Good looking outfit and some beautiful country, thanks for sharing.

Back