• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Morning Quail Walk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Chiseled out a couple of hours to go for a walk with the Fowling gun and Bismark the Drahthaar. Got 3. Was nice to get out and go for a walk.

Snipe season opens in a week here. Can't wait to see how he does out in the muck looking for them. That is, assuming I can get him interested in snipe. Right now they just don't exist to him, he's completely oblivious.

Hopefully once I jump shoot one and he gets to retrieve it the light will come on.
20141010_081747sm.jpg

20141024_095749sm.jpg

:hatsoff:

Waidmannsheil!

Wonderful pictures, I like your dog and the name, too :wink:

Sounds and looks like a wonderful morning I would have traded mine :surrender: .

Silex

I'm extremely jealous. I small game hunt a lot in Feb. and March but usually only see 2 small coveys in that time period. Guard those places well and don't tell me where they are or I'll be spending way too much on gas. :hmm:

Oh, agree with Brit and others. You're hunting buddy has the first class hunting dog face! :wink: :thumbsup:

Waidmannsdank Silex. I like culturally correct names for the dogs. My GSP is Jaeger. When I was naming this knucklehead it was either Bismark or Blucher.

Real Drahthaars are AMAZING dogs. Super strong, super driven, super trainable and super smart (read:Mischievous). Even with my dismal training he shames some of my buddies high dollar setters and English pointers. And as an added bonus he'll water retrieve, point and flush rabbits, blood trail and is a terror on feral cats, raccoons and possums. I'm trying to train him to point bedded down pigs as well for summer hunting when they move less during the day. This summer I hope to do some some S&R training with him but it's hard to find a group to work with in this area for non LEOs.

It helps that he's very photogenic. Even though he's not really typical. They're supposed to get large tan facial hair, but he stayed all black and his stache isn't very long.

That sounds about the same what I learned about Drahthaars around here :wink:
Really clever, protective, strong - a good hunting partner but sometimes they can drive you mad.

Good luck with the training and hog hunt.

Over here you have to go through a training program with the dog and then have take him through "Brauchbarkeitsprüfung" only after that is the dog considered fit for hunting duty and not the least insurable as a hunting dog.

Again nice pictures and story

Silex

They're quail. Bobwhites.

Silex, we have a similar testing regimen here modeled after the German one but with less Fox aspects I believe. http://www.vdd-gna.org/ If they don't score above a certain point they can't be bred. I'm pretty sure planned breeding is reviewed by the main club in Germany also.

I started training Biz to go through the testing but got injured badly right before his puppy test so we missed it and by the time I recovered he was to old to start the testing process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link!
This is really interesting.

There is a lot of pride in the breeding and training over here, probably everywhere when it comes to fourlegged hunting companions.

Thanks again,
Silex

Back