• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Morse Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No Grease

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just purchased a new in box Navy Arms Morse Rifle. Yes it was still in box and it was never used by the previous owner. Four digit serial number it is .50 cal. Downloading info from Navy Arms on loading so far all I have is info on .45 cal. Does anyone have any good or bad info on these rifles? TIA.

Don't know anything about that rifle in particular. Start with 50 grains of 3F or 2F and work up in 5 grain increments until you find the load she likes. .490 or .495 balls with pillow ticking. :v

I remember those from many years back. Never had one but seem to recall them being considered solid reliable guns. Not fancy or period correct.
I would like to find one of the shotguns for myself.

Could you please post a picture of the Morse rifle.

Is this the Confederate design or something that just goes by the name Morse?

Thanks.

I got one in .45 in the late 70's.
Not a true replica of anything, but was always close enough to H.C. to get by at most shoots.
Still have it.
Mine has a 1:48" twist and shoots very good w/ patched ball or hollow based minies.
It's won a few trophys and killed more deer than I can remember.
Simple, rugged, reliable and accurate.
I have yet to replace anything but nipples.
Jon D

I think anyone who says that muzzleloader isn't period correct must be thinking of some other period.

Guns with a metal block at the rear of the barrel which contains the lockwork were made by several different companies between 1840 and 1860.

Ethan Allen comes to mind.

I't's been many a long year since I've even shot one but since the .45 was held down to a 70 grain FFFg charge, I imagine the .50 might need to be in the 60 to 80 grain range. Don't recall any problems with the guns but never did warm up to the style...one of those things! Sorry I can't be any more help.

Latest posts

Back